Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me find Around The Corner pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-find-around-corner-pattern-t23920.html)

maryb.43 08-08-2009 05:01 PM

Being a newbie to this site, tho I have been received the newsletter for about a year now and always look at the photos for inspiration. ...I need some help.

I am trying to find a quilt pattern for Around the Corner...my daughter is having her first baby, and wouldn't you know it, she loves this picture of a quilt, called Around the Corner. It is so cute.

I have found the block in Judy Martin's book, Scrap Quilts...but it is just the block, not the entire directions for the quilt. Is there any help for me? The actual quilt is a mini block type....tho I could adjust that. Help, Help. Help Any suggestions on where/how to locate this would be appreciated.

amma 08-08-2009 05:11 PM

Hello and Welcome :D :D :D

I found these two, but I am betting it is the second link that has what you are looking for :wink:

http://www.flavinglover.com/around_c...ructions_2.htm

http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...und_corner.htm

Ninnie 08-08-2009 05:11 PM

Hope this helps you, I think it is a 4 1/2 " block!

http://www.flavinglover.com/around_c...ructions_2.htm

maryb.43 08-08-2009 06:00 PM

Ninnie, it has the same name, but it is not a rendition of the log cabin. Its similar to the one noted below by amma (the quilting about.com one),...that is almost it... but the big beige square is complete in the center, that is the problem..., and tipped on point like in the link...so there would have to be a few more triangles to make the final square all bigger and accomodate this enlarged beige square. It IS the block, however....almost...does anyone have an extended one like that? thanks. i need all the help I can get.

maryb.43 08-08-2009 06:06 PM

Hi, Loretta...I'm in Wisconsin too.

dunster 08-08-2009 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Scrap Quilts and put the block in EQ6 - is this the block you mean? I just quickly chose some colors, but I think it would be better with a scrappier look when put into a quilt.

That would not be an easy block to piece. I think I would try paper piecing.

I'm not sure what information you're looking for, or what size block you want to make.

maryb.43 08-08-2009 06:59 PM

Oh, dunster, indeed that is it! I assume EQ6 is some quilters program? I was looking for a pattern for an entire quilt, using this Around The Corner block. I am a beginner quilter, its my 4th quilt...so I need directions to help me organize, plan etc. (In a perfect world!) I was hoping someone, somewhere out in the quilting universe knew of such. The directions on the about.com site would be some help, with some adjustments....

any ideas? You're the best. Thanks for finding it. The photo of the baby quilt Dana found appears to be approximately a 4" block...or a 6"...its hard to tell. It is definately not a 12". It is beautiful. A labor of love.

dunster 08-08-2009 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
EQ6 is quilt design software. It does a number of things, but it doesn't really provide complete instructions. It will give an estimate of yardage, and provide a foundation pattern, and give rotary cutting instructions (not for the whole quilt, but for a single block).

I made another version of the block using baby colors, and made up a quilt image using those blocks. The design I'm showing is 6" blocks, 7 blocks by 8 blocks in size, with a 3" border. The total size is 48 x 54. The directions you would need for making a quilt would depend on many things - the number of fabrics you want to use, and where in the block and border you want to use them; the size of the block you want to use; the finished size of the quilt you want to have; - probably more that I'm not thinking about. If you can provide more of that information I can plug it into EQ6 and try to help.

sharon b 08-08-2009 09:39 PM

WOW What a great looking quilt ! Keep us posted on your progress

maryb.43 08-09-2009 11:13 AM

dunster...you have a heart of gold. Thanks for helping. I like the idea of a 6" block...not too little!...and I think the dimensions of the finished quilt you mentioned would be about perfect. So, that looks like a "go" for me. I would like to add a little dinky border before the 3" border, to frame the inside blocks, is that possible, the skinnier the better.

And when you say how many fabrics...I am intending this to be completely a scrap quilt and have old clothing from every ancestor little Maisie has had...some of the old fabric goes back to my grandfather and my great grand-mother, tho admittedly, every time I make another of these heirloom quilts, you only get a couple of little blocks!!! of the oldest fabric. Everybody in the family knows...don't let your kid throw up on THAT block. I would say that there will probably be about 80 different fabrics all told, I'm guessing.

In the finished quilt that Dana saw a photo of...each big square is entirely different, and thus it looks very scrappy, which I love. It does not appear that light/dark for particular portions held true. It looks like each block was made independently, but with the following guide for all. Exceptions noted.

From the center of an individual block
1.... The center square is a different color than anything else in the block.

Going out from the center square
2......the 4 triangles making up the innermost "on point" square are all the same fabric
3......the next square out (not on Point), those 4 triangles are of a different fabric
4.....next "on point" square...the 4 corners of it are of a new fabric, but (4b)the little 8 triangles along its perimeter are different fabric than those corners, and any other fabric used
5.....the big square, not on point...some of those 4 corners are of the same fabric or print, but in some blocks,the four corners are all in the same family of color, but different fabrics, 4 red prints, or 4 odd prints. However, this would be fabrics not already used in the block.

5b...still the final big square.....the 8 triangles are of one fabric. A new one, of course.

I did try to copy the diagram and put numbers on it, but I am not that computer savvy! Hope this makes perfect sense to you. Thanks again...and if you send me a piece of material I will put you in!!! the quilt!!!Let me know...there are 1800 pieces in this beauty, I'm sure I'll be able to work it in. LOL.

Bless you, dunster