Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Me Identify?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-identify-t283739.html)

twinkie 11-14-2016 06:25 AM

It is definitely Cathedral Windows pattern. Fabric looks to be 1970 or early 1980

Ariannaquilts 11-14-2016 07:06 AM

Welcome to the board Tyler, I was wondering if this beauty is a family heirloom or something else? Since you're interested in the value does that mean you have no intention of keeping it? If you wind up selling it I hope it goes to someone who can appreciate the time and love that went into the making of it!

tyler 11-14-2016 09:29 AM

Thank you all for your replies. To answer Ariannaquilts... I was certainly considering selling it. Now I'm on the fence, lol

NikkiLu 11-14-2016 11:10 AM

A Cathedral windows quilt is not your "traditional" quilt. An "old fashioned quilt" is one with a pieced top (either hand pieced or machine pieced) and the batting in the middle and a fabric for the backing - then all is quilted together, either by hand or machine. A Cathedral Windows quilt is not made that way - an unorthodox way of putting a quilt together. Both are very time consuming ways of making a quilt. I have a CW quilt that my grandmother made - in the late 50's or early 60's - it was unfinished and I finished it. Every single time it was washed I had to spend hours "mending it" as it was hand sewn. I finally cut it up and made it into wall hangings and gave them to the relatives. HTH (Hope This Helps)

GeeGee 11-14-2016 05:14 PM

Beautiful Cathedral Windows quilt. I have made two, a full and a queen all hand made, and rest assured, mine will not come apart during laundering. I still have one but gave the queen size to my daughter who was thrilled to receive it.

kindleaddict63 11-14-2016 05:41 PM

I love Cathedral Windows quilts and plan to make one someday. To those who have made them I have a question about backing - my understanding is that so much material (muslin) is used that there is no requirement for batting and backing but I have seen people who have backed them....good idea or bad? The other practical consideration I have seen is the weight - i understand these quilts can be pretty heavy when finished?

RuthiesRetreat3 11-15-2016 10:46 AM

If you plan to sell it, make sure to charge extra because of the hand-work and quality. These quilts do not usually have batting and I think batting would add so much weight it would be hard to clean. I would definitely take it to a professional person to have it evaluated for what its worth. Contact the people who do antiques roadshow. Should be able to find them on the web.

Pennyhal 11-15-2016 11:08 AM

Love your quilt! Is it heavy?

nanac 11-15-2016 11:22 AM

Beautiful quilt, Cathedral Windows is my all-time favorite quilt. One day, I will own one.

Geri B 11-15-2016 12:48 PM

You have a treasure there...you may not appreciate, though. Research well if you are planning to sell.

i started one last winter, put aside for summer, hmm, may work on it again ......the tute here at QB by Eddie is superb!