Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me pick a color, please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-pick-color-please-t180521.html)

fatquarters 02-24-2012 11:24 AM

I think the dominant color is red. I like the idea of a dark tan for sashing, the burgundy suggested by quiltnan sounds good too.But sizzle queen had a great suggestion, audition different colors, and see which looks best. lay out a color and put your quilt blocks on it, take a pic, repeat with other colors, the look back at your pics. Sometimes its easier to flip between pics for a comparison.

MdmSew'n'Sew 02-24-2012 11:24 AM

The red is what pops out ... maybe a denim blue, as dublb suggested, definitely lighter blue, will balance the red and help the blues show up better - with perhaps an reddish orange square at the center of each 4-square, then a reddish brown or deep red around the 4-squares - not sure what cornerstone would work, maybe the orange again with the brown, or a deeper blue (not as dark as navy, just deeper than the denim) with the deep red - with such a scrappy design, the more colors the better, I would think. And don't forget to show us the final result, I love seeing all the scrappy quilts here! :)

dublb 02-24-2012 11:43 AM

I agree w/MdmSew'n'sSew be sure & post a pict here or the link for where you do post it.

MadQuilter 02-24-2012 11:47 AM

You could use blue with red corner blocks - but I think that would make the quilt too dark.
You could use red with blue corner blocks - that might make the quilt too bright.
You could use tan with red corner blocks - that would be my choice.

AnitaSt 02-24-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I probably will take a bunch of the blocks to my LQS. I had thought maybe a burnt orange for the sashing within the blocks, but that might be too much....maybe just the cornerstones as MdmSewnSew suggests. Denim blue is a good suggestion too. I have something in that color..a tone on tone...that might just work. Gotta head to the stash to find it!

AnitaSt 02-24-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5004662)
You could use blue with red corner blocks - but I think that would make the quilt too dark.
You could use red with blue corner blocks - that might make the quilt too bright.
You could use tan with red corner blocks - that would be my choice.

You think like me, MadQuilter. When I had only about 30 blocks, all of them looked too dark to me so then I started making lighter blocks. I like the idea of tan with red cornerstones.

Keep the ideas coming!

redmadder 02-24-2012 11:52 AM

I've had good luck with a cream or white background with tiny blue print. Not sure why but it lets the blocks stand out while making the whole seem coordinated.

barny 02-24-2012 11:59 AM

I think ScissorQueen has the idea. Take 2 or 3 blocks to the fabric store. Lay them on 2 or 3 colors. You'll know in a hurry what you like best. Just my 2 cents worth.lol

annthreecats 02-24-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5004555)
blue, but go light, not dark!

Ditto. Light blue.

quilter2theend 02-24-2012 03:02 PM

I would go with red or a light blue, depending on whether you want the blocks to pop(red) or to calm the quilt. (blue)