Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP ME TEACH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-teach-t82781.html)

loolahbel 12-14-2010 10:05 AM

I have purchased a Janome mini for my 10 year old GD for Christmas and am looking for suggestions on what would be a good first project for her. I primarily piece quilt tops (lots of cottons in my stash) but have also done a little clothes sewing so keep that in mind when you give me your suggestions.

I expect that we will start our first project the day after Christmas so appreciate whatever suggestions you offer. Thanks.

bearisgray 12-14-2010 10:06 AM

Pillow case

Pajama bottoms - can buy a big t-shirt to go with

stuffed toy

Sadiemae 12-14-2010 10:06 AM

If I were teaching a young child, I would probably begin with a sewing charm squares together to make a small quilt.

Olivia's Grammy 12-14-2010 10:08 AM

I teach new sewers of any age string piecing as there are no mistakes.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-14-2010 10:09 AM

Do a tube pillowcase. Nothing to sew except straight seams. Maybe even make a pillow to put in it. Again, nothing but straight seams.

Robinlee 12-14-2010 10:10 AM

As an Extension educator and taught young 4-H's and other youth, I started with a 4 patch pillow. Check out the Alex Anderson - Beginner quilting book with kids. Has several different quilt projects and some fun things kids will love to do.

I also taught a Pajama pants class for beginners.

Enjoy and have fun and don't forget the basics and safety.

Connie in CO 12-14-2010 10:11 AM

I would start with learning the machine and how it works. :thumbup:

loolahbel 12-14-2010 10:19 AM

These are all excellent ideas. So the plan right now is to: Show her how the machine works and go to the library to check out a book for sewing with children. Both the pillowcase and pajama pants are good starter projects. Thanks everyone, you all are why I love this board.

bearisgray 12-14-2010 10:36 AM

Something that works with me - when it comes to the machine or whatever

Show me "how" - then let me "do " it. I can be told and told, but until I actually try it, I don't "get it"

Example: Thread the machine - then unthread it and have her do it. (more than once, if necessary)

Have more than one bobbin available - you wind one - then have her wind one,

Etc. etc.

I think it's important to have something they can use - and that making to fit will not be a problem.

Feather3 12-14-2010 10:48 AM

I'm teaching GD's too. I started with having them learn to thread the machine, wind bobbins, etc. Then I had them sew around lines on paper. All shapes, round, square, triangle, etc. Then we moved on to fabric I found that looked like quilt patches sewn together. I had them sew on the fake quilt lines, using batting & backing. Next we made kitchen towels. Sewed pot holders & a loop to hang them. That's as far as we've gotten so far. They're in sports, so finding free time to sew isn't easy. I have some pre-cut kits I bought at a quilt show for them to do. Magnet quilts, pillowcases, aprons. I do allot of garment sewing & hope to teach them to make blue jeans eventually. Their Mom wants me to make them curtains for their bedroom for Christmas. I'm going to try to get them involved in it too.