Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help me think of quilting terms for my future new dog's name! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-think-quilting-terms-my-future-new-dogs-name-t21223.html)

sandpat 06-11-2009 04:19 PM

I always have to wait until I've met the newest addition before I name them. They do tend to name themselves...sorta. The latest kitten I named Riley...we now call her Weasie...short for Weasel :shock:

sewjoyce 06-11-2009 04:28 PM

I love the term/name: Wonky (you know, when your block isn't perfectly square -- it's wonky :wink: )

quiltswithdogs 06-11-2009 05:25 PM

As far as naming according to the specific dog after we have it, that is what we've done before, once for personality and twice for color. Sunny (Border Terrier) was an overtly happy girl, Blue (Sheltie) was a blue merle and had one blue eye, and Misty (min Schnauzer) was shades of greys and silvers. But with those, we already knew the breed we wanted and so the color, so had ideas to consider as a starting point. That's all I hope to have now... a starting point. We won't decide until the dog is ours. That reminds me; there is one minor detail I mustn't forget... my husband needs to like the name too! Well, at least it'll be easier than when our kids were home and involved too although one of them came up with "Sunny"....she really did have a sunny disposition and made us happy like a sunny day can. We will choose a name that fits.

You know what?.... this is a fun little project! ...Here's what I've got so far, in no special order:

Lacey (white girl/lace)
Threads (obvious meaning)
Ears (big ears/dogears to cut from triangles)
Stash (many dogs like to accumulate more-like us!)
Stitches (funny dog/stitches)
Star (esp good if white or star on head)
WIP (fast dog who whips around/work in progress)
Patches (if does have patches of color)
Patch (formal name: 9 Patch)
Cotton (kinda hard to say esp for calling a dog)
Prints (if a boy ... sounds like Prince)
Wonky (esp if lopsided ears or something funny or odd)
Wagon (if wags a lot/ sounds like waggin'/ formal name: Wagon Tracks)
Cozy (pretty obvious meanings)
Scrappy (I hope nobody calls my dog "crappy")

Fun names! I might use one for my next bird too as Pepper(cockatiel), is nearly 19 years old. Or, I might use them for future goldfish in my aquarium if some plague hits and wipes out all my old guys I collectively call "the Beach Boys". .......So, thanks and keep em coming please!

dojo36 06-11-2009 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
I don't care if it is a boy or girl, fluffy or smooth... only that it is small due to my experience of having difficulty lifting my 15lb Border Terrier when she was so weak at the end. Of course I want it to be cuddly and playful and friendly too.

Right now, I'm waiting to hear if 2 dogs of interest are still available;
- a small 10mo all white girl maltese
- a little young boy chihuahau mix, mostly faint speckles on white with some larger areas of darker patches of blacks and browns.
......"Patch" or "Patches" might work for him!

definitely get the maltese, i have a 9 lb. 4 year old maltese and she's just the best dog i've ever had, very smart and still playful.

my maltese and the calico cat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36112[/ATTACH]

dojo36 06-11-2009 05:29 PM

P.S. my maltese's name is Precious and the cat's name is Callie.

*QuilterWannabee* 06-11-2009 05:51 PM

How about SuzieQ for the girl. Or Q.T. pronounced cutie? Or for quilt time? LOL. I like Patches for the little guy!

littlehud 06-11-2009 06:11 PM

Cute pets dojo. My maine coon cat is Gusgus but if I would have waited to name him he would have been Stitch because he tries to remove all my stitches as I sew. He is a stinker but I love him.

dojo36 06-11-2009 06:17 PM

thanks littlehud, i seem to have more pics of my animals than i do of my grandkids, lol. just don't know what i'd do without them.

BellaBoo 06-11-2009 06:31 PM

I like the name Bobbin. It's a cute name for a small dog.

MadQuilter 06-11-2009 06:34 PM

SID (stitch-in-the-ditch)
Stitch
Buttons
after your brand of sewing machine - lol
Olfa
Cutter