Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Mouse tore all batting from one side of pinned quilt sandwich! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-mouse-tore-all-batting-one-side-pinned-quilt-sandwich-t181861.html)

cathyvv 03-07-2012 05:16 PM

A new generation of mice are probably coming in because of the weather and the goodies. If they're anywhere in the house, it's just a matter of time until they get to the kitchen.

Glad you can fix the batting. And very glad that they didn't tear up the quilt top/bottom in the process!

sylviak 03-07-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by sassey (Post 5040144)
No advise about quilt but you might find this interesting I came home from being gone 2 months. Mouse dropings all over my kitchen counters all dog food under sink ate up I bleached everything set out traps got 2 mice upstairs I guess they had did away with a few mice in there house while I was gone. Well I knew I still had at least one mouse left because I saw him. Well about 2 weeks ago I started seeing mouse droppings on my counter again now mind you I have 3 traps out. BUT EVERY morning I have to disinfect my counters I just can't seem to get rid of him

Get a cat!! Your mouse problems will go away. Mine lives outdoors and I don't have mice anymore. Meantime, get the poison and set it in strategic locations: back corner of your counter, under the sinks (kitchen and bathroom) and in the laundry room. This might not be possible if you have a dog inside, but if you don't....this works.

anniesews 03-08-2012 04:53 AM

I am so sorry about your quilt. There is a tape that will attach batting pieces. Probably JoAnnes would have it.

Kath12 03-08-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky (Post 5037191)
Rather than the batting tape, just get some fusible interfacing, cut it into .5" - 1" strips and - tada - batting tape at a fraction of the cost!

That's what I use too! Batting tape is too expensive

jeank 03-08-2012 05:04 AM

Just be glad that it didn't attack the quilt top. My mom always told me find the good in every situation.

Now you can trim away the bad section of the batting and attach a new strip. I like to fuse the join with a 1/2" strip of fusible stableizer or interfacing, then zig zag over the join.

I know you said you had no more batting, but guess you will have to get some.

Oh, and set some traps. LOL

glorcour 03-08-2012 05:59 AM

I piece battings very often and I usually just whip stitch them together unless it is a firm one like warm and natural. Then I run a zigzag line tby machine to join the pieces. Batting has become so expensive .

karenpatrick 03-08-2012 06:13 AM

My first thought was "buy a mousetrap."

solstice3 03-08-2012 06:27 AM

I have seen the tape used for batting. It is awesome

Delta 03-08-2012 06:33 AM

yes joanns does have spray adhesive or the tape will work fine.

MadP 03-08-2012 07:13 AM

That makes me think of the time some years ago I had a flannel backed table cloth on a picnic table on the deck and the squirrels tore a good share of the backing off of the table cloth. Probably made good nesting material.