Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Need advice on how to fix a quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-advice-how-fix-quilt-top-t207134.html)

spstout 12-01-2012 12:33 PM

I think it is just lovely! And I agree that it does not appear to have "unfortunate" symbols. I think it is wonderful that you are so sensitive to your mother's feelings. We should all be so lucky as to have our daughters grow up to be as thoughtful and careful. If this issue is important to you then it is important. What I may find to be fine, others may not. All that really matters is if you are comfortable, not anyone else here. You were right to seek out advice and I am glad that most of it has been helpful and constructive.

honeybea 12-01-2012 09:57 PM

Your quilt is beautiful and I can understand how you feel....it does jump out at you .....I believe that with all the great ideas that have been shared you will be able to do some quilt surgery . I know that in the end you will be satisfied and enjoy it for many years and no one will ever know....I have a quilt that I made for my daughter that has some holes in it from having been chewed by her young dog. I have to remove the squares and replace them. I have learned a lot myself from having read all the suggestions given. It motivates me to now tackle....Oh and will you show us the quilt when you have it finished......It is so lovely.....Honeybea

bearisgray 12-01-2012 10:57 PM

I just went and checked to see what the swastika symbol looked like. Then I looked again at your quilt. For the life of me, I don't see it - but it's not my quilt.

However, I did notice that not all the blocks are placed the same way. Which I did not notice at first or second or third glance - but THAT would bother me!

From left to right - for lack of a better way of putting it - The top left unit of each block will be described as horizontal or vertical
H - horizontal; V - Vertical

H V V V
V V V V
H H H V

I don't know if that placement was intentional or unintentional -

You know what you (and your mother) can live with - and taking out and replacing can be done -

glenda5253 12-01-2012 11:18 PM

Bless your heart...good luck with your 'repair'!

eyes 12-02-2012 02:37 AM

I did not see the swastika symbol either and the harshness of being called 'insensitive' is wrong. I think there are quilters here of different ethnic groups and each have family members with sad stories of yesteryear. It isn't forgotten but rather we move forward and look at life in a postive light.

For me, quilts are like art work hanging on an art studio wall.
Not everyone likes the same painting but you don't tell the artist to take it down or change it.

I hope you will show us the quilt when it is finished...and maybe your hubby snuggled under it in his favorite chair watching tv. ;-)

Just my two cents worth nothing.