Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help need baby ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-baby-ideas-t190014.html)

Sewflower 05-25-2012 04:01 PM

help need baby ideas

I just finished a twister baby blank for my soon to be great great niece and wanted to know if any one has any suggestions for a few more baby things I could make quickly to go with it. I only have 10 days until the shower.

qbquilts 05-25-2012 04:06 PM

burp cloths made from cloth diapers. Google for ideas. There's several different ways you can do them.

DebraK 05-25-2012 04:11 PM

bibs! plenty of free patterns in google land.

quilter1 05-25-2012 04:28 PM

I have made nursing cover ups. The ones you buy are so small and expensive. You can make one from a yard of fabric in just a few minutes. PM me if you want my directions. Easy.

Tartan 05-25-2012 04:51 PM

Burp cloths, changing pad, bibs, self binding receiving blanket from Missouri Star Quilt Youtube video. The cutest burp cloths I've seen was white terry cloth on one side and white flannel on the other (flannel helps keep it in place on the sholder) They had embroidered with their machine, crossed checkered flags with the words "Spit Crew" underneath. Another cute one had "Spit Happens" embroidered on it. You can do a couple in manly fabric so that the Dad won't be embarassed to use them too.

Neesie 05-25-2012 06:29 PM

Fitted crib sheets are also pretty quick, to make.

Sunnye 05-25-2012 07:24 PM

How about a hooded towel? I just made one that looked like a monster but you can make ducks, dogs, cats, make-up-your-own whatever!

GrannieAnnie 05-25-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sewflower (Post 5242953)
I just finished a twister baby blank for my soon to be great great niece and wanted to know if any one has any suggestions for a few more baby things I could make quickly to go with it. I only have 10 days until the shower.

The last couple baby quilts I made had coordinatign book bags to go with them. Just slightly bigger than most kiddy books-----about 12" wide and 9" high. The bottoms and sides were about 3 inches. The little tote works for carrying the quilt or for books or maybe even a couple toys;.

MimiBug123 05-25-2012 08:30 PM

How about a bath towel for baby. I make them by trimming the top of the towel to look like a bib apron, and then fold the bottom up about 14" and stitch the sides up, making a large pocket all the way across the towel. Finish it off with some binding string around the neck and waist. You can embroider on the top, add rick-rack, or whatever. It is really neat because it keeps mom or dad dry during the bath, then you put the baby in the pocket and roll him up close to you. By the time you get to the changing table, he's dry.

jad1044 05-26-2012 05:15 AM

I used flannel on all my burp cloths, and diaper changing pads; so much cozier for that little tender skin and the mothers were absolutely in awe of how handy these were - not to mention if they have a baby who upchucks a lot - a dozen burp cloths don't go far - made each of my nieces a dozen, and both had babies who had a time getting used to their formula and even breast milk... so they washed daily... and one had a preemie - so I made little bibs; I called them mini bibs; about 4 inches across that went around the neck, but no ties on them - just easy to tuck under the chin to keep the little outfits cleaner... I also made a dozen of them for each new mommy - they'd never heard of such a thing - but loved them.