Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help- Need ideas for hanging a design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-ideas-hanging-design-wall-t56486.html)

RDM 07-27-2010 08:34 AM

I'd love suggestions on how to hang a design wall so it can easily be hung then removed. I've thought of quilt hangers, a new "vanishing" retractable design wall (more expensive but could go in front of closet), and going back to what I used in the past of wall hooks and rod to hang it up. We remodeled so my room has little wall space, one wall of bookcases for fabrics, a huge sewing/quilting table in front of window, plus closet on a side wall. Has anyone had luck with a particular quilt hanger in this way or ???? Thanks for your comments.

QBeth 07-27-2010 08:39 AM

Cna you suspend the design wall in front of the bookcases? If your bookcases don't have doors, this would be one way of keeping dust out and light from fading the fabrics. Maybe there's a way to make it retractable like a window shade??

Joyce 07-27-2010 08:46 AM

I'm glad for this post. I am trying to come up with the same kind of solution. I just don't have any wall space left.

RDM 07-27-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Cna you suspend the design wall in front of the bookcases? If your bookcases don't have doors, this would be one way of keeping dust out and light from fading the fabrics. Maybe there's a way to make it retractable like a window shade??

Problem with that is no doors on bookcases so no solid service behind design wall. I'm considering buying foam core, covering it, then just stand it in front of either closet or bookshelves. It would always be out though since no where to hide it when not in use.

QBeth 07-27-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by RDM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Problem with that is no doors on bookcases so no solid service behind design wall. I'm considering buying foam core, covering it, then just stand it in front of either closet or bookshelves. It would always be out though since no where to hide it when not in use.

I have the same problem with no solid backing and have been considering different solutions. One was to use foamcore or cardboard (we just bought a garden shed that was packed in large cardboard box) and store it behind the storage unit when not in use. Can you pull your bookcases out an inch or so?

OdessaQuilts 07-27-2010 09:47 AM

Are your closet doors wood or metal? If metal, go to the office supply store and get some strong magnets with clamps (like a bulldog clip or a chip clip type) on them. I have 3 that stay securely on my closet doors. When I need my "design wall", I simply clamp white felt into the 3 clips and work away!

Easy, inexpensive, and can be put away in just moments.

Ripped on Scotch 07-27-2010 11:32 AM

I saw this item yesterday in McCall's magazine. Vanishingdesignwall.com it's a retractable design wall that is hidden in a shelving unit. it looks really cool! the demo video says its 54 by 74 or something like that. The unfinished one is $139 plus shipping which really isn't too bad...when you consider the use of it

BellaBoo 07-27-2010 12:24 PM

I stapled covered insulation foam boards to the wall. I take the big boards down to restretch the felt every so often. No problem with removing the boards from the staples and the staples leave hardly visible marks in the wall.

Up North 07-28-2010 05:31 AM

When the window shade design wall was going I thought about an old projector screen that is my mothers Attic You could roll it up and fold it away when not in use. In fact I just saw one at a goodwill store for about 10 bucks. Or a large window shade mounted ceiling height that you could roll up out of the way. Cover with Flannel and you are good to go.