Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help need to know this pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-know-pattern-t116202.html)

seahug 04-14-2011 09:49 PM

Yes it is quilted with the Baptist Fan pattern. Tabby just took it over like she does anything new in the house. I sure hope someone can find this beautiful pattern.

Linda71 04-14-2011 10:01 PM

Nice quilt

quilterella 04-15-2011 12:20 AM

I thought maybe Ring Toss, and there are many variations to this pattern. It is close...but, no cigar. It is a beautiful quilt.

QM 04-15-2011 12:30 AM

I do not recognize this pattern either. It is obviously pieced, rather than appliqued. To reproduce the pattern, lay a block over a piece of paper on your ironing board, such as freezer paper. Poke through the seam lines with a fine pin. play connect the dots with a pen and cut out your pieces. Remember to add seam allowances.

When you sew, remember that it is essentially a 9 patch. Your 4 corner pieces have inner and outer parts. Of course, the pattern you get will be slightly smaller than the original pattern was, due to shrinkage and quilting reducing the size.

The original quilter was quite skilled to get such even blocks that connect so well. Do let us know if you find out more about the pattern.

MTS 04-15-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by QM
When you sew, remember that it is essentially a 9 patch. Your 4 corner pieces have inner and outer parts.

Well, it's not your run-of-the-mill 9 patch block.

The more I look at the quilt the more impressive the maker's piecing skills. Every spot where something is supposed to match is dead on. Perfect.

Was it machine or hand pieced?

And she didn't have an AccuGo Cutter to cut perfectly matched pieces. Or a special foot to sew curves. Or any of the scores of notions we have today. ;-) ;-)

Just skill.

Which makes the finished product even more impressive.

Tartan 04-15-2011 05:46 AM

Wonderful old quilt! I don't know the pattern either. I hope someone else does. Good Luck!

applegramma 04-15-2011 06:00 AM

This is a very beautiful quilt. I own a quilt that my late husband's grandmother made for us in 1962 for our wedding gift Jan, 1963. I marveled at her quilting...of course...all by hand. I had no idea what the name of the pattern was...finally, some years later when I became involved in quilting, I purchased a book by Maggie Malone, called 5,500 quilt block designs. Alas, I located my quilt design...called 'Ozark Cobblestone'. Very appropriately named as we are Missourians and live in the Ozarks. As I have time, I will search this book to see if I can locate your quilt design. The book is only block designs and not the actual pattern dimensions. I'll see what I can do for you.

seahug 04-15-2011 07:02 AM

This quilt was all hand pieced.

pjustice63 04-15-2011 07:04 AM

Sure is pretty. I have never seen this pattern before. Good luck with the repair job. Looks daunting.

QM 04-15-2011 07:39 AM

I should have said that restoring will be an applique process.