Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help....Need new Sewing Machine... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-new-sewing-machine-t179269.html)

mimicrystal 02-13-2012 12:49 PM

Help....Need new Sewing Machine...

I am going to buy a new sewing machine. I have only been using a sewing machine for about 2 yrs. I've been using one that was given to me. It is about 20 yrs old, but I want a new one. I started looking online at machines and oh my gosh, I really don't know what kind to buy. I'm looking at spending between $200 - $300. I have not learned how to "quilt" on my machine but I would like to learn in the future. So I would like to know what you guys/gals suggest for a sewing machine with this information in mind. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BellaBoo 02-13-2012 01:19 PM

Decide which feature is most important to you. I would suggest the Janome Jem line for a new machine that has lots of features for the least price. I have the older Janome Jem and it has never given me a problem. Check out the top of the line Kenmores. They are made by the same company that makes Janome.

purplefiend 02-13-2012 01:47 PM

The Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 is a great machine that's in your price range. Sews well and is quiet.

pinkberrykay 02-13-2012 03:27 PM

I am beginner quilter and I purchased a Janome DC3050 it is a great machine for me as a beginner and easy to use.

Joset 02-14-2012 04:55 AM

i love my little janome jem. check out your local dealers.

deedum 02-14-2012 04:58 AM

I have a janome jem and it is a neat little machine.

kateyb 02-14-2012 05:13 AM

Decide what features you want, write them down in a notepad, then go to several dealers with some fabric swatches and try them out. Mark the swatches as to which machine. Take notes in the notepad, then go home and make a decision without the pressure of a sales person.
I think most dealers have machines within your price range. They will probably try to get you to buy higher. Hence the suggestion to go home and make the decision.
How much support they give after the sale is also a consideration, such as classes on the use of the machine, service, etc.

tezell0801 02-14-2012 05:36 AM

I am much like you. Just started back sewing, but was never really a big sewer to begin with. Made a few kids clothes when mine were little. But now I am learning to quilt and I also am sewing some for the grandbabies. I just bought a new machine, Brother LB 6800 THRD from Costco. It is the same machine as the Brother 400SE, just a pckage deal with thread from Costco. So far I love it. I have only used it for about a month, made a quilted table runner and a dress for my grandbaby so far. I want to learn the embroidery part, but no time to try it yet. I think that will be a great feature to have. It sews like a dream and I love the features! It was $368.00. I think it is money well spent. didn't want to spend too much in case this sewing bug is a passing thing. I am horrible to start something and then frop it after a short while. Good luck with your decision.

sewgray 02-14-2012 06:02 AM

I am a Bernina snob, nothing sews like a Bernina. Buttttttt.......a couple of years ago I bought a little Brother, it is the fore runner to the 6000i, and it's a great little machine. I bought it because I can no longer lift the heavy Bernina's to take to class and such. This little Brother makes a great stitch, a darn good button hole and has a host of features and decorative stitches. I only paid $139 for mine, you can get the 6000i on ebay for less than $200. I don't expect it last for ever, but I figure if it last a couple of years I've got my money out of it.

Stitchnripper 02-14-2012 06:12 AM

I have been very happy with my three vintage singers, but, really do enjoy my dinky mechanical Brother, Walmart variety, which has never failed me, is not fussy on thread, and sews through anything. It is about 8 years old.