Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help needed with quilting On puffy batting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-quilting-puffy-batting-t283334.html)

copycat 10-28-2016 02:55 AM

What about quilting swirls like the wind....not tiny swirls or the snowflakes would get lost.

I just love the snowflakes! Whatever you decide, I think your quilt is great!

jillmc 10-28-2016 03:30 AM

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I attempted to echo around the snowflakes, but it wasn't looking very good....so I just did the loops to calm down the rest of the background. The snowflakes do get a bit lost, but that's ok with me. It lays flat and no puckers, so it's time to sew on binding and call it done. I was hoping to do piano keys in the border as suggested, but there was just too much "puff". Will post a pic when it's complete. Thanks again!

Billy'swife 10-28-2016 06:50 AM

This is so cute! I like it the way it is, but a simple loopy fill in between the flakes, like others suggested, will flatten it just a little. Please let us know what you decide.

quiltlady1941 10-28-2016 08:08 AM

not any help here, but your quilt is beautiful, can't wait to see what you decide to do.

carolynjo 10-28-2016 08:17 AM

Since your piece is small, I would not do any more quilting except around the border--close to it and leave the pretty quilt as is. I think you have secured it enough with those beautiful snowflakes.

Friday1961 10-28-2016 09:06 AM

I think this looks fabulous! And no reason to tie the snowflakes together; they appear to be floating or falling, as snowflakes do. Beautiful piece and your quilting is terrific!

Three Dog Night 10-28-2016 09:15 AM

I love the snowflakes but maybe a smaller snowflake in the areas would help flatten down puffy area and not detract from the falling flakes which is what you want to see. Very nice pattern.

jillmc 10-28-2016 10:58 AM

Thanks all.....The picture does not do justice to the puffiness around those snowflakes! I posted a pic of the completed quilt....it turned out ok. Lots of lessons learned, and that is why I quilt! Keeps my aging brain active! ��

Barb in Louisiana 10-28-2016 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7686631)
Pebbling would probably make your snowflakes disappear. But because each snowflake is a dense fill in itself you don't have an even distribution of quilting. You could try quilting in more snowflakes to take up that extra space or echoing them.

feline fanatic said what I was thinking. Fill in some of the empty spots with more snowflakes, maybe some echoing around the top star, and call it done. It is already very pretty. You did a much better job than I could have done. My apologizies for my pitiful drawing in Paint...but this is what I was thinking.

NZquilter 10-28-2016 11:38 AM

How about gentle wavy lines coming down from the top at about 30 degree angle, as "wind"? That would not overpower the gorgeous snowflakes, but still be a filler and add to the scene. Beautiful quilt too!