Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Needed......Snappy Bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-snappy-bags-t255431.html)

Tiggersmom 10-17-2014 12:35 PM

Help Needed......Snappy Bags

I have seen several tut's.........some say the pregnant side of the measuring tape goes to the outside of the bag, and others say its the opposite.

I made a bag in class with the 'pg' side to the outside and it doesn't seem to be strong enough. It doesn't make the snapping sound . . .not that I care about that, I just want the closure to be completely and tightly closed so I don't loose the contents. My bag is 14" long and about 8" deep. I have read in some blogs that they double up the metal ruler in side to make it stronger.

If you have made them please let me know which side you put to the pretty outside of the bag!
:thumbup:
Thanks,
Jennifer

Tartan 10-17-2014 12:47 PM

The more expensive tape measures work better as they have firmer steel. Cut your 2 tape measure strips, use masking tape to connect both ends and try them. The outward curves should be on the outside with the inside curves facing each other.

mic-pa 10-17-2014 03:06 PM

Tartan is right, the more expensiver rulers work best. The dollar store ones are too flimsy.

pattypurple 10-17-2014 04:33 PM

I always double up the rulers and remember that the numbers face the lining. If it makes a clicking sound it is in backwards

AliKat 10-17-2014 08:46 PM

I got the free big tape measures from Harbor Freight. I use duct tape at the cut rounded ends.

Actually, either way you put in the tape measure parts works well. Just that the one way actually 'snaps.'

Tiggersmom 10-18-2014 09:28 AM

Thank you for your input ladies!

I actually did a "test".........to get the most 'snap & tightest closure' the rulers should look like ")(" in the finished project.=more tension, ........and to get 'no snap and a looser closure' the rulers should look like "()"=less tension, easier to open.

Some times I have a "duhhhhhhhh" moment. :thumbdown:

Onebyone 10-18-2014 09:33 AM

I use a Stanley steel tape that lost it's zip to go back into the holder. DH was going to toss it. It's 50' long and 3/4" wide. It's perfect. I wrap white duct tape around the whole length that goes into the bag as the bright yellow of the tape sometimes shows through and the edges can cut the fabric after repeated 'snaps'.

GrammaNan 10-18-2014 11:32 AM

I am lucky. My DH brings home broken industrial types of tape measures for me from work. They are very strong. I have to wrap the ends really well or they burst through the fabric. I really like making these bags.

needlefruit 10-19-2014 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom (Post 6933776)
Thank you for your input ladies!

I actually did a "test".........to get the most 'snap & tightest closure' the rulers should look like ")(" in the finished project.=more tension, ........and to get 'no snap and a looser closure' the rulers should look like "()"=less tension, easier to open.

Some times I have a "duhhhhhhhh" moment. :thumbdown:

Now that we have the orientation of the ruler cleared up, can I piggyback with another question, please? I made one with the rulers like ")(," and I absolutely loved it. However, the ends, though covered with tape, wore through the fabric fairly soon. I'm thinking maybe I cut the rulers too long. How much space do you leave in the casing at the ends of the ruler?

quiltinglady-1 10-19-2014 04:49 AM

Needlefruit, not sure if you are doing this, but I saw a video that suggested trimming the corners at an angle before you put tape on the end to further decrease the chance of poking through the fabric.