Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-t202105.html)

Quilter Day-by-Day 10-02-2012 07:46 AM

Help needed

I finished a quilt for my sister and then washed it the chalk lines didn't all wash out. What do I do now?
The material is green and the chaulk lines are orange how do I get the rest out?

It's the one in my avatar.

Jan in VA 10-02-2012 06:36 PM

I have found, over 30 years of quilting, that orange/yellow markers are the most difficult to remove of any color. I disposed of any I had years ago. Someone will come along shortly to give you ideas, hopefully, on how to remove what you have.

Jan in VA

Tartan 10-02-2012 07:10 PM

If you have left over fabric scraps, make a small quilt sandwich and chalk and wash it. Use the little sample to try different treatments out on. If you find one that woks then try it on the quilt. I had a quilt a long time ago that I used chalk on. I tried quite a few things on it and although it came out of the quilt, the cotton quilting thread never came completely white.

Quilter Day-by-Day 10-19-2012 10:43 AM

Just thought I would make a post letting everyone know what I ended up using to get most of the chaulk out after trying vinagar twice,oxy clean, I did't know what to try next so I used windex now granted this was on my practice piece not the quilt itself until I found that the windex lightly took it out then let air dry and did it again and most all came out there was only few ittle marks but she will probably never notice them. I sprayed windex on and used a washcloth and lightly rubbed the chalk lines then put in washer and rinsed and then air dried again and then repeated process. Then after the second process then I washed normal with a little soap and lightly dried in dryer then took out to finish air drying. I sent to her she got it this last wednesday and called me she was excited to get it.

jcrow 10-19-2012 11:22 AM

I would never have thought of using Windex!

ragquilter 10-19-2012 11:29 AM

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

feline fanatic 10-19-2012 12:35 PM

Amonia is a great solvent. More than likely it was the amonia in the windex that did the trick. Great job. Glad you got them out. Like Jan in Va, I try to avoid yellow and orange chalk. I too have not had good luck with it on some projects and just about any color chalk will imbed in and discolor the thread.

batikmystique 10-21-2012 12:29 PM

Good to know about the markers. What color/brand have you had the most success with? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5558205)
I have found, over 30 years of quilting, that orange/yellow markers are the most difficult to remove of any color. I disposed of any I had years ago. Someone will come along shortly to give you ideas, hopefully, on how to remove what you have.

Jan in VA

Jan in VA 10-21-2012 07:43 PM

I use a water washable graphite pencil bought from an art supply source. The one I use that is most available is Derwent Sketching Light Wash HB. It washes out fairly easily when you finish and launder the quilt. I use it on light and dark fabrics - where it shows up as a shiny line when the light source come from the side rather than straight down from above.

Jan in VA

clsurz 10-22-2012 12:23 AM

Toothpaste will also do the job. Toothpaste is good to remove most anything you need removed.