Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help needed to understand what to ask for when having a quilt machine quilted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-understand-what-ask-when-having-quilt-machine-quilted-t27882.html)

Edie 10-31-2009 05:28 PM

If I am not mistaken, it is not done by computer. I believe it done randomly. If you check quiltyourself.com, the website shows all the patterns, including the stippling/meander pattern. It is quite interesting

I hate to say thing, but I have never seen a square square square. And, only God is perfect. I do the very best I can and you really cannot tell if it is somewhat off square. I am only on my third pieced quilt. My second one was the cancer quilt.

If you make a mistake, quilting is very forgiving. It can really perk it up. I made a mistake and when it was quilted you couldn't even see where the mistake was. Go to a quilting shop and watch them do it by hand and also by computer.

Edie

richbrote 11-01-2009 04:27 PM

ask about the different colors and types of thread. they will usually use cotton which is preferred by many. also, to add interest ask to see variegated thread, this comes in may colors and shades. next, if the quilter uses computerized machines, ask to see the different patterns, there are literally 1000's of different patterns to choose from. once i made a nautical quilt and he suggested using ships wheels, sailboats, and anchors and waves, this was really interesting and made the quilt pop. check my blog for details and pics. richbrot.blogspot.com.
they will stretch your top very tight, so make sure your piecing and joining have small stitches, i use a 1.8 on my machine. also i use warm and natural batting which is very durable and holds up to many washings.

trolley station 11-03-2009 03:40 PM

My daughter is a long arm quilter. She spends at least half an hour with her regular customers (more with new customers) discussing the quilt, the pattern, whom it is for and what the customer really likes. She advises her customers that they have the right to determine the outcome of their quilting selections. After all, a lot of work and money goes into the creation of the quilt. If the customer is undecided or hesitant or has no idea, my daughter will gently suggest a pattern and give a reason for the choice. For instance, recently I made a quilt named Shadow Boxes. I was not really pleased with it but I knew that the quilting would make the difference. Because the quilt was all boxes we decided on overall circles which softened the angular look. Many times I have heard her tell her customers....IT IS YOUR MONEY AND YOUR QUILT. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS.

lalli 11-04-2009 08:39 PM

i am new to this site iam from india. i am visiting my son in u.s i am fond of quilting . i try to learn more about the quilts stitching i just finished one lone stat quilt it is a lap quilt. i was just hesitating to get the quilting done by the quilter. because she was charging 175 dollars. now i am convinced.i can breath . after reading you note i have decided to getmy quikt done byher thanks a lot

richbrote 11-05-2009 06:48 AM

my quilter charges .0125 per square inch. a 40x 50 size would be 25.00. try to find someone with better pricing.