Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with new sewing machine purchase!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-new-sewing-machine-purchase-t264173.html)

laurafaith55 04-18-2015 12:08 PM

help with new sewing machine purchase!!

hi all -- i haven't posted a lot on these boards…but i certainly do a lot of stalking! :cool:
anyway i have been quilting for about 5 years. i bought a janome machine as my very first machine and it still is up and running just fine…but been thinking about getting a new machine. i went to a local quilt shop to check out their machines -- and i was pretty STICKER SHOCKED! all they sell was baby lock machines and when i told the sales woman that i just do pretty much basic piecing and appliqué (not interested in doing embroidery yet) she suggested one that was $2100. this is just WAY out of my budget…i think i would be ok with around 3-4 hundred. so i guess my questions is …
What is your favorite brand?
What type of machine do u have/love

thanks!

quiltingcandy 04-18-2015 12:23 PM

I would look at Brother machines. A friend of mine has one and my sister has one and they love them. My friend checked out Babylock and Brother - she said some of the machines are the same. But the Babylock costs a few hundred more. I have the Janome 6600 P and love it - but it was well over about $1500 but it came with the table and a few other extras. And I would replace it with another Janome because I love how it works. What one do you have now and why do you feel you need a new one?

ManiacQuilter2 04-18-2015 12:29 PM

For that amount of budget, I don't think you can look at anything besides a Brother. I have a Bernina 1530 that I paid $1,000 for in the mid 90s. I don't need any new gadgets so I am still happy with my purchase.

Sharonquilts 04-18-2015 12:38 PM

What size throat or harp do you have on your Janome? That was key for me when I bought my Juki F600 ... and the fact that is was so much quieter than other machines I tried. They run between $900-$1100 though. Juki does make 2 others (F300? F400? I think) that cost less.

meyert 04-18-2015 12:57 PM

You sound just like I did a couple of years ago. I didn't have a machine but I wanted one... was thinking 4 to 500 dollars (which was a lot for me). Then I started looking and wow!!! But I also wanted to get a good one ... because when I borrowed my sister's and mom's they were really frustrating. I didn't want frustrating. I ended up with a Janome 6600 - - could not believe that I spent that much. But I have not regretted it for a minute. Love my machine. I did end up buying a Janome Magnolia for what my original price range was.. a smaller machine to take to the quilt shop

DresiArnaz 04-18-2015 12:59 PM

Some of these sewing machines cost more than I paid for my car!

If you or your honey are handy you could buy one from a thrift store.

I just picked up a White 1620 for 19 dollars. I goofed around with it for a little while cleaning and oiling it. Fixed takeup lever to get rid of floppines, cleaned contacts where controller plugs in, fixed the little door that covers the light so it would stay closed and adjusted the tension on the bobbin. Then I bought a foot for it for six bucks, put a seam guide on it for 1/4" seam and it's working really well. It's soooooo quiet and it pieces very nicely.

It didn't come with pedal or accessories but the pedal from my Sphinx reproduction fit.

I bought it because I think a gear might be going out on my Singer 9022. Needed good back up with ZZ.

Lafpeaches 04-18-2015 01:29 PM

When I took my BL crescendo I last week, the dealer said he would trade it plus 2000k for a Bernina 770 which he was selling for 5600$ With interest free financing next week. My husband said to do it if I really wanted it. It does have a bsr and large bobbin. I slept on the idea for 2 nights and decided not to do the deal even though the 770 is a really nice machine. It must have been a great deal for me because the dealer didn't push too hard which he usually does. The biggest sticking point was the cost of Bernina pressor feet. The 770 doesn't come with very many, not like the BL.

Dolphyngyrl 04-18-2015 04:05 PM

The babylock rachel should be in your range but don't know what features you are looking for. The Elizabeth is also really nice but I think its in the 800 range

Peckish 04-18-2015 04:11 PM

Look around for gently used, pre-loved machines. Check your quilt shops, repair shops, dealers, quilt guilds, friends, etc. Be patient. I bought a Brother 1500 from someone who was upgrading her setup, and I paid $400. Best machine I own, my absolute favorite. I told my husband if something happened to it, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Don't give up, you CAN find one.

DresiArnaz 04-18-2015 04:34 PM

I've heard many people love their Brother machines.

I don't know which model, but I'm sure you can find one that fits your budget and works well for quilting. I used to work with a woman who quilted on her lunch hour and she had a Brother that she just raved about.

It wasn't that expensive and she said she could quilt on it, sew jeans with it and do just about anything she wanted with it.

I wish I could remember which one but there are a lot of people on this forum that use a Brother very happily.