Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-old-quilt-id-design-era-t251071.html)

adamleefreeman 07-31-2014 03:37 AM

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

2 Attachment(s)
Friends -
I'm a fairly recent "volunteer" who signed up for the sole purpose of learning all I can about quilting - how to sew my own quilts, the history past & present of quilts, and so on. Of course, I must also disclose that this is a hobby I've jumped into right at my own "half-century" mark - my wife surprised me with a Bernina 350PE for my 50th birthday this year!
So, that's where I'm coming from - and my question today is asking for help in identifying a quilt by its pattern, and perhaps its era/vintage/regional style or any other such "historical" details. The quilt in question is one of several I inherited from my mom's side of the family - this quilt was probably made in the area of Floyd County, Iowa. It may be work from an aunt or my grandmother.
Any ideas are welcome!
Thanks.
Adam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485724[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 07-31-2014 03:41 AM

the pattern is grandmother's flower garden. i don't know the fabric era, though. you are fortunate to inherit them.

adamleefreeman 07-31-2014 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6825123)
the pattern is grandmother's flower garden. i don't know the fabric era, though. you are fortunate to inherit them.

Thanks so much, Nancy! I appreciate your help with this. Eventually, I am going to photograph whatever family quilts we have saved from our Midwestern relatives. Then, I will be asking pretty much the same questions as I am now!

Adam

ManiacQuilter2 07-31-2014 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the board Adam. I have an older Bernina 1530. Lucky YOU !!

As QuiltnNan stated, the pattern is a common one very popular in the early 1900s called Grandmother's Flower Garden but I think yours is specials since the flowers are connected with the diamonds. I made this top but have never gotten around to hand quilting it. A few of us LOVE taking a hexagon project with us when we are on the go. I am currently working on what I would call a modern twist of the old traditional pattern. You can do a search, select advance search, then select options and see some of the other GFG that have been posted.

Quilt30 07-31-2014 04:20 AM

Most likely 1930's

ptquilts 07-31-2014 04:36 AM

ditto, GFG from the 1930's. Is that TWO quilts in the picture? One has green hexagons between rounds, and one has green diamonds. ???

Annie68 07-31-2014 04:46 AM

Adam, that "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt is most likely from the 1920's or 30's. I love to see a quilt that has been well used as per the fading. Inherited quilts are always special.

Have fun in your new venture into the quilting world, it is exciting!

nanna-up-north 07-31-2014 05:03 AM

First, Welcome to the QB and the world of quilting. You've joined a large group of quilt lovers and we all like to see your quilts and give as much encouragement as we can.

Your grandmother's flower garden is certainly lovely. And they are a lot of work. I know because I've made one. It looks like the fabrics in your quilt are from the 1930s-40s. It could be as early as 20's but that flowery yellow fabric looks very 40's to me. Anyone can duplicate a past pattern like the one you have. What really tells the story about age is what fabrics are used. There are people out there that can tell you very closely the age of the fabrics. I'm not perfect at it but, since I've been sewing since I was 5 (63 years ago) and taught sewing most of my working life, I'm not too bad at it. There is just a look to the patterns (certain patterns were trendy at a specific time) and the weave (30's and 40's fabrics are not as tightly woven as today). But, doing a little research, visiting some museums, etc. will certainly help educate you.

Whatever the age, you certainly have a treasure. It would have been nice if our grandmas and aunts would have put labels on their quilts. But that just wasn't done back then. The quilts were made to use for the most part. And time was precious.... no need for extra work. I'm so glad that putting a label on has become popular. Our children need to be able to know about our work. Hopefully our quilts will last a long time.

I hope my comments have helped you...... quilt on!!

quilt938 07-31-2014 05:12 AM

beautiful! I recognize the pattern but not sure how to date fabrics- almost all I've seen have been 30s fabrics with the cutesy prints. I've only seen them handpieced though so you'll probably want to hunt up something easier for your own quilt if you want to use your new machine LOL! beautiful quilt and love how it's been used. so special!

Jackie Spencer 07-31-2014 05:31 AM

I am currently making the one with the little green diamonds, I believe its supposed to be ( the diamonds) the garden path. Enjoy your quilts.