Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!! Photo transfer bled (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-photo-transfer-bled-t220092.html)

KLO 04-27-2013 11:45 AM

I hope your solution works out. It's so frustrating when something you have done before does not work that same as it did on another project. Also, I just wanted to say that I am originally from Jersey (South) and my family used to pick beach plums in Cape May every year and make jelly with them. Oh how I miss Beach Plum Jelly. I should try to see if I can buy some on the web. Thanks for producing those memories and again, Good Luck with your project.

lakekids 04-30-2013 11:41 AM

The soda ash is used when dying fabrics - not printing with inkjet printers.

omaluvs2quilt 04-30-2013 01:08 PM

I second that about the ink refills...learned the hard way that the refills will bleed all over, even on the pre-treated printed treasures! I've had very good luck with the printed treasures, but do find it difficult to hand stitch thru. I usually add fabric borders before adding to a quilt or labels. I've used them on many quilt labels for quilts that have been washed frequently and no problems with massive fading. I have heard that the "Electric Quilt" ones are nice, bit I haven't tried them yet.

i also agree that you have to pre-wash to remove all sizing etc.

newestnana 04-30-2013 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update: although I think I need new chemicals and will order them, I tried again using your suggestions. Prewashed the fabric, pretreated as directed, used genuine HP cartridges in the printer, let the printed fabric dry for a few days ironing occasionally. When I used the rinse I kept it in for three minutes, agitating with my hands. And this, I think, was important:I immediately blotted the fabric to prevent bleed and even used a hair dryer to make sure it would dry before running (the one, of four, that I didn't use the hair dryer on bled a little bit but is acceptable).

Here is a pic of one of the finished blocks.

Thank you all for your help.

newestnana 04-30-2013 08:34 PM

Oddly, when I look at this post on my iPad (from which I uploaded the pic), the photo is oriented correctly, but from my laptop it's sideways :-(

KLO 05-01-2013 04:28 AM

Your block looks wonderful! Your border color really sets the center design off nicely. I am so glad that you were able to work this problem out to a good conclusion. After reading your original post though, I had a great urge for Beach Plum Jelly .... my parents made it every summer from Cape May picked beach plums. I went on a search for it and found I can order the jelly online. See what you started? Sure would love to be a Beachplum Quilters guild member. Ha!

omaluvs2quilt 05-01-2013 03:21 PM

Turned out GREAT!

Ilovesewing 05-01-2013 07:28 PM

Glad it worked out! I've had BJS for years and years now -guess it's no good and I had no idea :D

auntlucy 05-03-2013 05:22 AM

Has anyone used Blumenthal photo fabric that comes on a roll? The amazon reviews say it is softer than the photo transfer sheets. Would you use the Bubble jet rinse after printing on this?