Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Picking a Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-picking-machine-t260823.html)

usafchick1980 02-05-2015 05:52 AM

Help Picking a Machine

I am in NEED of a new machine. I would love an embroidery/sewing machine. I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2. I just need help deciding between them.

[h=1]Brother® LB-6800THRD Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine[/h]
Singer S10 Studio Embroidery Machine

I don't know a ton about machines in any way to be honest. So I will add that my old machine was a Singer. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Sandygirl 02-05-2015 06:01 AM

Got a Budget? Maybe explain the features that attract you to your two top choices fir a better comparison.

Old Singers are not the same as new Singers ....Singer Co sold off the brand name years ago. Quality is less.

sandy

usafchick1980 02-05-2015 06:07 AM

I don't want to spend more than $500. I would love Embroidery but I don't need to do any major embroidery. I would mainly like to be able to do letters. Maybe a few pictures. And when I said my old singer..it was only from 2009.

quiltedsunshine 02-05-2015 06:18 AM

Avoid a new Singer like the plague. They are made so cheap! We get them in the shop with the timing off, right out of the box. I've heard that people like their Brother embroidery machines. I personally prefer a metal oscillating hook over anything with a plastic bobbin and bobbin case. The plastic starts jamming if you try to sew heavy fabrics. And the needle bar in these plastic machines, has forward/backward wiggle, so you can't really set a proper needle/hook distance (timing setting). You might find something used, with more metal, that's in your price range.

GammaLou 02-05-2015 06:23 AM

I agree with quiltedsunshine and would go with the Brother. I love old Singers, but the new ones are cheaply made.

imsewnso 02-05-2015 06:24 AM

Brother embroidery machines are the most user friendly IMHO. I have owned Pfaff, Husqvarna and Bernina. However I once used a brother before purchasing an embroidery machine. Sooo user friendly. The reason I don't own a Brother machine is ONLY because there is no dealer near me.

TinkerQuilts 02-05-2015 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GammaLou (Post 7078038)
I agree with quiltedsunshine and would go with the Brother. I love old Singers, but the new ones are cheaply made.

I agree - And you can embroider Disney designs with a Brother machine, not with a Singer (or any other brand).

bee3 02-05-2015 07:50 AM

also try them out. I had my heart set on a certain brand, and when I went to try them and compared them to another brand, I didn't like it.

ManiacQuilter2 02-05-2015 08:37 AM

You do have to test drive them. Don't expect to get much quality with your budget. I bought my Bernina 1530 for $1,000 in the early 90's. It still is still running great. I went from a Singer (1970) to my Bernina. No regrets!

FURBALLS 02-05-2015 08:58 AM

I have 2 low end machines. A Brother XR1355 that I do all my piecing etc on and a Singer Confidence Quilter that I do all my FMQ on. Have had the Singer for about 3 or 4 yrs now. Have pieced and quilted many quilts including king size.
Would like to get a Brother embroider machine someday. I know that many of you don't like the cheap Singer, but it has been a workhorse for me. I would love to have an expensive machine, but one has to make do with what one can afford. Won a couple of blue ribbons at the fair this year using my cheap machines.