Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please with border size and fabric choice. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-border-size-fabric-choice-t275908.html)

copycat 02-20-2016 04:35 AM

Help please with border size and fabric choice.

1 Attachment(s)
The quilt name is Mountain Moon from a workshop our guild sponsored. I call my quilt, Sliced Stash because I used my stash to make it and the blocks look like pie slices of fabric.;) The blocks are on the flannel wall right now. The pattern does not call for a border. The binding is shown to be scrappy from the fabrics used in the blocks. I would like to add a border to make the quilt larger. The Blocks will finish at 11". I was thinking about putting a light border using the same creme fabric seen in the blocks since I have enough to do so. Then I would put a colorful scrappy binding. First ? is what size border would look right? I was thinking 3" finished. Second? : What color border would you choose? Would the light fabric work?
Thanks for taking a look. As always your advice is appreciated.

copycat 02-20-2016 04:38 AM

The picture loaded sideways. The quilt top is on the left side.

yonnikka 02-20-2016 05:08 AM

Use both of your background fabrics, make a narrow border of the buff/tan and a wider outer border using the cream. Lay the fabrics out and take pictures, it helps you gain the perspective to make your choice. I like your blocks, at first they looked like little butterflies. Be sure to post your final photo when all is done. And make some pillow covers to go with your lovely quilt.

quilterpurpledog 02-20-2016 05:14 AM

I like your blocks very much. Your quilt looks very modern to me. Rather than a border I would suggest another row of blocks. To enlarge your quilt you might need to do a horizontal row as well as vertical. Then, use the scrappy binding.

skypony 02-20-2016 05:51 AM

I think a 3" border would look quite nice. The cream fabric would match and compliment the quilt which is really cool, bty. Anyway, the colored binding would tie everything together. great job. You went all out on this one.

ruthrings 02-20-2016 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka (Post 7470981)
Use both of your background fabrics, make a narrow border of the buff/tan and a wider outer border using the cream. Lay the fabrics out and take pictures, it helps you gain the perspective to make your choice. I like your blocks, at first they looked like little butterflies. Be sure to post your final photo when all is done. And make some pillow covers to go with your lovely quilt.

I agree with this suggestion. I think a border always enhances a quilt and Yonnika's ideas are excellent.

NJ Quilter 02-20-2016 08:31 AM

I was thinking a darker and larger border myself. Perhaps a 1-2" wide border with one of the lighter fabrics and then say or 4" or 5" of one of the darker fabrics if you have enough??? I think it would make the darker fabrics 'pop' a bit more that way.

Mariposa 02-20-2016 09:14 AM

Personally, I'd do a 1" or 1-1/2" finished accent border in a rust, then a wider 4"+ border of the dark blue. JMHO~

Jamie T 02-20-2016 09:21 AM

I agree with NJ Quilter--I would use a narrow border of the darker background, then a wider one of a dark--either the brown or dark blue. I find a dark outer border frames the quilt nicely.

QM 02-20-2016 10:49 AM

IMHO, a dark border contains the 'action' of a quilt. If it were mine, I would use the darker background followed by a darker color, if available, possibly the darker color in the upper left block (as it appears on the screen). The quilt is yours, however, and whatever you do really only needs to please you. Audition possibilities and see what works for you.