Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please on a bowtuck purse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-bowtuck-purse-t230854.html)

Airwick156 09-22-2013 06:37 PM

Help please on a bowtuck purse

I have cut out pieces for a bowtuck purse for my friend and I so that we have matching purses even though we live across country from each other.

My question is this....

The pattern calls for Pellon Fusible web. I do not have any nor the money to purchase any at this time. CAN I use a heavy quilt batting instead of the fusible webbing? I hope so as I really want to TRY to get it made in time for her daughters wedding in October. But if I dont get it done, thats okay too she will get it for Christmas. Thanks for your advice.

0tis 09-22-2013 06:44 PM

You don't have to use the fusible web - you could use batting also - the fusible makes it nice because its fused to the fabric - no shifting etc. The fusible adds body to the bag - helping to stand it up - I have heard others use batting and spray baste the batting to the main fabric - so try it - I think you will love it. I have made at least 10 or more Bow Tucks - they are very popular. Good luck and don't forget to show us a pic.

Airwick156 09-22-2013 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 6308711)
You don't have to use the fusible web - you could use batting also - the fusible makes it nice because it Is fused to the fabric - no shifting etc. The fusible adds body to the bag - helping to stand it up - I have heard others use batting and spray baste the batting to the main fabric - so try it - I think you will love it. I have made at least 10 or more Bow Tucks - they are very popular.Good luck and don't forget to show us a pic.

Thank you Otis. Off to cut batting. I just told my daughter I was making 2 and she wants the second one. Lol so she may get I of them lol What we do for our children lol

erstan947 09-22-2013 07:15 PM

I have used batting on mine and it works just fine.....enjoy!

Airwick156 09-22-2013 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=erstan947;6308747it cut now im going to goI have used batting on mine and it works just fine.....enjoy![/QUOTE]

Thank you Erstan.

DOTTYMO 09-22-2013 10:46 PM

I used batting and spray glued but I also starched fabric. Both could be washed out if required at end. Also the quilting you do next depending on the pattern and how close also helps. In one bag I did try the applique stuff as I had a large pieced which was unwrapping and I put it on the fabric back and the ironed by Hobbs batting on .it was firmer.

Airwick156 09-22-2013 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6308877)
I used batting and spray glued but I also starched fabric. Both could be washed out if required at end. Also the quilting you do next depending on the pattern and how close also helps. In one bag I did try the applique stuff as I had a large pieced which was unwrapping and I put it on the fabric back and the ironed by Hobbs batting on .it was firmer.

I am just using a thick batting that I had. I got 2 bags cut out. And I sewed one pocket and I just fi ished doing a decorative stitch on just one side of the first bag. You can't see it as the fabric is black and white, but I did it to help make it a little stiff. This definately will be a slow project fof me because I'm having to read each step three or four times. But I'm having fun. Thanks everyone for your comments.

JustAbitCrazy 09-23-2013 12:32 AM

Take your time. That bag takes a while to make, but it's so worth the effort.

AliKat 09-23-2013 10:30 AM

Regular batting works just fine though you may want to quilt the pieces before making the purse. The batting is for substance not for weight.

iwillquilt 09-24-2013 11:56 AM

The instructions are hard to follow the first time. But after that you will breeze through them. I have made several for my family and friends. I use one for myself now but it is time to make a new one in fall/winter colors. Have fun!