Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Please with a commissioned wall hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-commissioned-wall-hanging-t183423.html)

M.I.Late 03-20-2012 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do exactly the same thing. I download pictures which I can either use for silhouettes or to attempt to piece with colored fabric. (I highly recommend a silhouette.) I then print them out and trace them directly onto the paper side of pellon (fusible). I iron that onto the fabric and cut it out. Voila! Any picture you want. The other option is to print the actual picture onto fabric made for that and do it the same way. (Just be sure to use ink-jet or laser printer which ever the printable fabric manufacturer recommends). Have fun! I'll attach a picture of the last one I made if I can figure out how to....

MaryKatherine 03-22-2012 03:15 AM

Hit the internet for images. Look at the covers of novels in the library. The illustrations can be cobbled together, shrunk or enlarged as required. I get all of my inspiration for unique pantograms from this method.
Good luck,.. but its very rewarding.
MaryKatherine

nhweaver 03-22-2012 03:32 AM

I like the silhouette idea. At a quilt show in NJ I saw the best silhouette done in satin - it was Elvis Presley!! I thought it was the most outstanding creative quilt there. I voted it best in show.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5075647)
Could you use silhouettes instead of realistic applique pictures? I would do better on silhouettes myself. If you do decide to do realistic applique, I'd make sure the person is from the back unless you are really good at faces.

applique 03-22-2012 04:36 AM

You can make a silhouette from a photo. Trace it onto clear plastic, back with white paper and enlarge on a copier. Do a realistic one from resized patterns. I use a lot of stained glass and woodcarving patterns for various animals. There are a lot of dog patterns out there from Maggie Walker to a book called Best of Show. Good luck!

solstice3 03-22-2012 05:30 AM

I agree with the coloring book pages and keep it simple! I often use powerpoint to enlarge and decrease picture sizes

rob529 03-22-2012 05:49 AM

Have you thought about googling the free colouring pages to see what you come up with.

Awesome idea.
Robin in TX

MaggieLou 03-22-2012 07:21 AM

Crayola.com has over a 1000 free coloring pages. You might find something there.

sdeaaz 03-22-2012 10:54 AM

I love applique... there is a lot of clip art and "stuff" available on line... google the word and then look at images... if you haven't you will be amazed... sometimes the images give more info then the websites, I think... it sounds like fun to me.

Geri B 03-22-2012 11:26 AM

my question is - how did this commission come about......have you done commissioned work before? Like someone else said, I too would not take a commission request unless I knew where to begin and proceed with it..........how big will this wallhanging be? Seems like a real pressure chore to me.....I do this for fun, not work!!!!!!!

Wagoza 03-22-2012 11:32 AM

I was asked to do a pterodactyl... my friends son loves them. I found a color page of one and had it printed poster size. I was fortunate to have a poster printer available to me. Now I have it to size, basically.
Color pages are great to use. Find pics of basically what you are looking for and put them together in one picture. Go to your local print shop to see if they can put it together in a poster.

Hope this makes sense and helps.