Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Please! Dresden Plate Advice! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-dresden-plate-advice-t194645.html)

Deborahlees 07-15-2012 08:30 AM

O.M.G.............Beautiful ;)

luana 07-15-2012 01:04 PM

I just love how the members of this board are so supportive. When someone has a question, you give so many helpful suggestions and options, but you always support the concept that everyone has a different "eye", and there are no right or wrong answers.

Pat M. 07-15-2012 01:08 PM

The last one I made was scrappy and some of the colors were repeats. When sewn it looked great.

Suze9395 07-15-2012 07:44 PM

Thank you, everyone. Always good to hear what everyone thinks.

I will try setting a few out on the design wall and see what I think. I am mostly pulling fabric from my stash. Though I recently bought a blue to add, because it was too pretty not to add and I will have to buy the white background.

I looked at the Google images and saw one where the quilter had left the centers blank and then appliqued the round center pieces between the plates on the background-that was really pretty. And then, I saw one where they finished the inside edge of the plate and then appliqued a smaller light yellow circle so it looked like a fried egg. hmmm...interesting. Might be neat to try, but maybe use a blue yoyo??

Thank you again!

Suze9395 07-19-2012 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure (Post 5366144)
I was in an on-line swap of "postcards (4"x6") from Hawaii". I decided the postcard idea was a blah quilt. I took each of the postcard pieces and cut dresden blades. I think my quilt is gorgeous (I also think all my children, grandchildren and great-grands are beautiful and super intelligent too). All the blocks are different, most of the centers are different, and I think I used several identical fabrics in one plate. I even used the "leftovers" to make the quilt border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349137[/ATTACH]

That is gorgeous! Thank you for
sharing!

Skittl1321 07-19-2012 11:08 AM

I used six different colors in my Dresden plate quilt. Each plate got 5 of the colors, and the four quadrants were the same. If I used the same 5 colors in multiple plates (I did, since I have 21 plates) I tried to arrange them differently.

Latrinka 07-19-2012 12:10 PM

I've done them in all scrappy (my avatar) , and I'm working on one now for my son's wedding that is all blues. 5 different fabs. Haven't decided on the center yet, but they will all be the same. Just depends on the look you want. I'm going for a more uniform look on this one.

Gladys 07-19-2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 (Post 5365106)
This is one of those questions that you'll get all kinds of answers to. I know many folks who say put them in a bag and pull them out one by one. I can't do that. I need more order. So I would lay out one with 20 different blades and many a couple for the four of the same color idea and the rest different. Stand back and take a look. If one doesn't hit you immediately as the best way, sleep on it and look again the next day. Good luck.

This is what I would do because I'm the same way. There's lots of good advice here but try it both ways and see which you prefer. Good luck and I hope you'll share some pictures.

Suze9395 07-22-2012 03:46 PM

So, I played with the layouts. I decided to go forward with scrappy. But, the control freak in me likes having the blades in the corners uniform. I have decided to sometimes use light and sometimes dare in the corners to continue the scrappy feel. I have prepared my blades, there will be 16 12" plates, 16 16" plates and about 40 4.5" plates.

Here are some pictures of what I put together yesterday at sit and sew. I am really pleasantly surprised how forgiving and easy the plates are to put together.

Suze9395 07-22-2012 04:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The pictures are washed out :hunf:. They are sittting on an Olfa mat, to give you an idea or what the colors should be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350702[/ATTACH]
12" plates

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350704[/ATTACH]
Close up of 12" plate with light corners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350705[/ATTACH]
Close up of 12" plate with dark corners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350700[/ATTACH]
3 small 4.5" plates

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350699[/ATTACH]
Close up sample of 4.5" plate