Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please - First Log Cabin Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-first-log-cabin-block-t288017.html)

littlebitoheaven 05-08-2017 03:38 PM

I am not a very accurate sewer so when I did my first log cabin block, I cut my last four strips 1/8" wider and then I square up the block when all strips are sewn. I found that the small corrections did not show up.

Jeanette Frantz 05-08-2017 10:55 PM

I'm glad we don't have "quilt police" because I'd be disqualified from making quilts. The only pieced-block quilts I've ever made have been log cabins. I cut all my fabrics in strips the length of the yardage I'm using, and I then chain-piece according to the block I've chosen to use -- I definitely do not use a particular pattern. I choose a block, and the rest of it is done the way I decided. I've made three, two of which were king-size, and one which was made for a queen-sized bed (for my very own) but large enough to reach to just above the floor. I'll be making another for my oldest sister pretty soon. I have to admit that the last 10-12 blocks tend to become very tedious -- I just want to do something a little different. Otherwise, I'd never get a quilt done. But, then, I'm not racing to see how many I can get done, I just want to complete certain quilts! I do square up every block as I go through the process. I am also very careful about stretching fabric. I've found that cutting the strips lengthwise of the grain helps a lot. Once I have the yardage for each color cut, I roll the strips on toilet tissue rolls which I save, taping the end to the roll to start (or I suppose you could pin it) and pin each succeeding strip of the same color to preceding strip. It is a faster way for me and it works for me. Everyone has to find the method that works. I can do this using my method because I've been sewing all my life, making garments for myself, curtains, pinch-pleat drapes, etc. I only began making quilts in 2010, so I'm absolutely an amateur when it comes to making quilts.

Jane Quilter 05-09-2017 12:12 AM

Jeanette, I don't understand the toilet paper technique. It sounds helpful......

Jeanette Frantz 05-09-2017 10:24 PM

Jane, I roll my cut log strips on a toilet paper roll -- simply a storage aid. For instance, I have yardage for two log cabin quilts, one for each of my sisters, so I ordered 4 yards of all the fabrics -- they're both going to be very similar. So, I cut my yardage into logs, and rolled the strips up on the toilet tissue inner roll. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I have found it helpful for storage of the fabric, it helps prevent stretching of the fabric (since the fabric is cut lengthwise of the grain), and it makes the quilt come together quicker. I would not advocate this method for everyone -- all I can say is that it works for me. Cutting is, I think, the most tedious part of making a quilt. It's necessary to measure and cut each log accurately. I measure, mark, re-measure and then cut very carefully.