Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please with how to plan the cross hatch quilting design in a border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-how-plan-cross-hatch-quilting-design-border-t307819.html)

copycat 11-04-2019 02:22 AM

Help please with how to plan the cross hatch quilting design in a border?

1 Attachment(s)
I have included a picture of the baby quilt I plan to do a cross hatch design. The quilt top is 35.5 wide x 42.5 Long unfinished. What method do you use to plan the cross-hatch quilting design in a border only? I am using a teal thread on the white border. Thank you!

QuiltnNan 11-04-2019 03:27 AM

I use a long straight edge, or two that overlap to keep the line straight, two yardsticks will do. I then mark the cross hatch lines with my hera marker at the distance apart that I want to achieve.

nativetexan 11-04-2019 09:33 AM

there are sites that show how to mark that but i didnt' love them. i have done X's with zig zag stitches. doing one side and then going the other next, meaning zigging to the right, then left, then right and then left. then starting again but going zigging to the left first, then right and so on. if more needed than X's you can go back and move down a bit and use the already stitched lines for your measurements to keep it nice and even. Good luck.

quiltsRfun 11-04-2019 10:04 AM

I used painters tape when I hand quilted a crosshatch on a border.

feline fanatic 11-04-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 8322636)
What method do you use to plan the cross-hatch quilting design in a border only?

1. decide orientation of crosshatch (on point or straight set like a checkerboard or a slanted diamonds or free form)
2. decide if this will be a straight cross hatch or curved cross hatch
3. if on point decide angle. Not all cross hatching has to be a 45 degree angle with squares (but 90% of the time that is what I end up going with when it comes to a straight edge cross hatch).
4. Determine size of cross hatch (on something this small I would probably go 1" or smaller)
5. Audition the size I think will work by overlaying clear plastic or vinyl and drawing it roughly on to the plastic or vinyl
6. Measure it out, mark it then quilt it.

I don't worry if I end up with a partial unit on the edges.

Tartan 11-04-2019 11:33 AM

are you going to do crosshatch the same as the borders or are you wanting to do them on point? The hard part is getting the quilt perimeter to work out perfectly in inches for your grid.

frannella 11-05-2019 08:11 PM

Copycat--for a narrow border like yours, I would mark my lines using a cross-hatch stencil (so many companies offer them in a variety of configurations) and a water-soluble marker. Like Tartan, I dont care if I end up with partial units in the corners.

Nice quilt!

Bobbinalong 11-06-2019 12:22 AM

I have no experience of working on just a border but I saw a method used for hand quilting and wonder if it might work for you.

Draw the design on tracing paper and pin this to the quilt. Now tack along the lines and then remove the paper this leaves the design 'thread drawn'. Remove the tacking stitches a few inches ahead of the hand quilting; this is made easy as the holes in the fabric from the tacking are still visable.

I wonder if you could work out the spacing of your cross hatching on paper and then use the tacking method not only for the design, but it would hold your sandwich together. I guess someone with more experience might see flaws in this idea though.

copycat 11-06-2019 02:37 AM

Thanks to all who have given me various ways to make the border crosshatch design. I appreciate your input! This stroller size quilt is a perfect size to try this design.