Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please! Log Cabin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-log-cabin-t251961.html)

gram2five 08-16-2014 09:21 AM

Help please! Log Cabin

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! I need some advice on quilting this and on the thread color I should use. I am practicing my fmq, but am not that good at it yet, so need some suggestions on quilting. Also, I'm having trouble deciding on a thread color since the colors range from light lavender to dark purple. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. The picture doesn't show the color graduations very well.

DogHouseMom 08-16-2014 09:32 AM

As for color ... either a variegated purple or a grey (solid or variegated).

As for design ... if you are currently practicing FMQ I would concentrate on the design you plan to use and get the muscle memory down. You might find it easier to do a "free style" all-over design on this: meandering, loop-de-loop or even throw in a heart or leaf on the loop-de-loops.

Doggramma 08-16-2014 09:54 AM

I agree with a varigated thread, maybe lighter for the light parts and darker for the dark parts. For quilting, I'd section off parts with the walking foot, then fill in with all-over swirls or wavy lines. Pretty quilt!

gram2five 08-16-2014 11:10 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I've looked for other log cabins to get some ideas, but they all seem to be stitch in the ditch, which I'm not sure I want to do.

Prism99 08-16-2014 11:37 AM

I would definitely ***not*** do stitch in the ditch! My suggestion for quilting is to use a walking foot and a straight stitch, guiding the fabric so you make softly waving lines. These can vary from each other. Your quilt pattern lends itself very well to this technique (which is also very easy to do!) because you can make the wavy lines run diagonally through your pattern. The wavy lines add a very nice "modern" touch to a quilt, in my opinion. I will see if I can find a photo:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/04/qu...foot-quilting/
That is not exactly what I am talking about (wavy lines running diagonally through your quilt), but the website shows how you can achieve that effect.

I would highly recommend adding several layers of spray starch to both your top and backing fabric if you have already layered the quilt. This will help keep the fabric stable as you wander down the diagonal. If you haven't layered yet, I would spray starch the top several times and heavily starch the backing fabric (a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water is good).

I do think a variegated purple thread would look lovely on this quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 08-16-2014 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would stitch at a 45 degree angle and just stitch straight. I would get two types of thread, one matching the purple and the other the lavender. If you know what cross hatching is, just stitch in just one direction.

calla 08-16-2014 12:34 PM

I did a SID on a king size log cabin, but........on the light blocks my thread was light and on the dark blocks I used dark thread. I did it on my Designer 1 not a long arm, it was extra work but I did like the end result. So using the variegated purple thread would look swell..........nice quilt

gram2five 08-16-2014 12:40 PM

Thanks Prism and Maniac! These are more the ideas that I have been thinking about. In doing these quilting lines, does the rule of starting in the middle and working out hold true, or can I start at an edge and go across? I'm very new to machine quilting, so need all the help I can get.

citruscountyquilter 08-17-2014 03:51 AM

As far as color of thread I think it depends on how much you want your quilting to show. I tend to quilt in a grey or white thread as those blend in well with just about anything except a really dark color and even gray blends in fairly well there. I usually quilt my log cabin in a diagonal straight line. It is easy to do because you can just go from corner of one strip to the corner of another so there is very little marking needed.

For free motion I find loops easier for me than meandering. I always seem to back myself into a corner meandering.

I generally start near the middle when I'm quilting but if you have your quilt basted together well there isn't a whole lot of shifting if you use a walking foot so if you don't start right in the middle it should be fine. Basting well is really the trick here. I glue baste but have also pin pasted before that. I like the glue baste because there isn't as much bulk and weight as with pin basting.

JenelTX 08-17-2014 04:55 AM

I think I might alternate. In the diagonal light areas, I'd do something swirly and fun. And then in the diagonal dark areas, I'd do straight lines. Just to play. It's fun to play. :)