Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Please paper piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-paper-piecing-t187950.html)

bailey 05-03-2012 08:49 AM

Help Please paper piecing

I am trying to do a paper piece block and the middle is

A1 A2
A4 A3

Each A is a square if you can understand what I am trying to say (a 4 patch). You would end up with a 4 patch. I cannot figure out how to do this. Where do I sew?? If I sew a seam up and down between A1 and A2 it is all good but then when I sew on A3 it just doesn't work and I still have to sew on A4. I am sooooo confused. Thanks for any help.

MissSandra 05-03-2012 08:54 AM

sew on the line from a1 to a2 then on to 3 and 4 make sure your fabric is 1/4 inch over on each side hope this helps

Little RoO 05-03-2012 08:56 AM

Hi...when I am stuck I try ' You Tube'. I have just typed in paper piecing and a number of tutorials came up so I think you might find something there that might help you....Good Luck

maine ladybug 05-03-2012 08:57 AM

Not totally sure without seeing your pattern, but usually that means that you sew A1 toA2, the sew A3 toA4. Then finish it by sewing A1/A2 to A3/A4. That should complete that part.

dunster 05-03-2012 08:57 AM

You have to do the two sides separately, then match up the seams and sew them together in the traditional manner.

MdmSew'n'Sew 05-03-2012 08:58 AM

Double check the directions, you would have to sew 2 together, A1 and A2 or A1 and A4, then the other two together, and then the two strips of 2 squares each are sewn together - sometimes even if the block is generally pp'd, a center like that will be pieced and then pinned to paper as if one solid square, the outside pieces applied per usual paper piecing - there's no way to paper piece one square at a time to make a 4 patch - at least none I can see. Good luck!

jcrow 05-03-2012 08:59 AM

I'm learning paper piecing and it's so foreign to me also. I'm taking a craftsy class to help me. I've also watched some youtube videos to help. To me, it's so different from traditional quilting so don't feel alone.

bailey 05-03-2012 09:01 AM

Thanks, if I sew up and down between A1 and A2 then across under A2 to A3 when I sew on A4 I have one seam allowance sitting on the top of the block. Do I need to sew A1 and A2 together before I start? Sorry, just do not understand where to sew............

bailey 05-03-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew (Post 5190708)
Double check the directions, you would have to sew 2 together, A1 and A2 or A1 and A4, then the other two together, and then the two strips of 2 squares each are sewn together - sometimes even if the block is generally pp'd, a center like that will be pieced and then pinned to paper as if one solid square, the outside pieces applied per usual paper piecing - there's no way to paper piece one square at a time to make a 4 patch - at least none I can see. Good luck!

Thank you so very much. Thought I was going crazy??? LOL

maine ladybug 05-03-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bailey (Post 5190718)
Thanks, if I sew up and down between A1 and A2 then across under A2 to A3 when I sew on A4 I have one seam allowance sitting on the top of the block. Do I need to sew A1 and A2 together before I start? Sorry, just do not understand where to sew............

Yes sew 1 to 2, and 3 to 4. Then the two larger pieces together.