Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please. Quilt Top Too Loose (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-quilt-top-too-loose-t189004.html)

scu114 05-14-2012 05:53 PM

Help please. Quilt Top Too Loose

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all. I am not sure if this has been posted-nonetheless, I couldn't find a solution. I just know you quilters can help me. I am in over my head but was persuaded to make a signature quilt as a good bye gift for a co-worker. It came together as best as I can do-- decided to free motion a curly Q pattern down and across the green sashings. Believe it or not-- I did alright on the free motion and the back is not puckered. BUT-- the top looks "blousey".

I have attached a picture for reference- the block with the picture towards the bottom-- how loose it is? Others are like this too-- like I didn't have to tight enough when I basted it together. ( But it looked great when I first it)

Now how do I fix it? I cannot take out all the stitching I have done on the machine. I don't know if I can quilt inside each block or if that will intensify the "blouseyness." I tried to hand quilt around one block-- around the edges-- but I don't think it mattered-- may have to do more than one to notice? Do I dare try to "stitch in the ditch" with my machine-- my squares aren't perfectly straight you know. This will make the back look tacky?

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Did it come more loose as I struggled getting in through my machine? It is pretty "wrinkled" from working it-but that free motion sure looks nice lol.

Just help please-- help me make this presentable"

Thanks so much for ANY help.

Just a beginner...

Prism99 05-14-2012 06:08 PM

I think it just needs more FMQ. I can't really tell from the picture; where all is the quilting design? Is it just through the middle of the rectangular pieces? Or just in the sashing? How far apart are your quilting lines?

If it were me and I were considering SID, I would defnitely do SID only with a serpentine stitch -- much easier on the nerves.

Really, as far as I can tell, it just needs denser FMQ.

Daylesewblessed 05-14-2012 06:13 PM

I agree that it needs some quilting within the blocks. The quilting in the sashing has probably "drawn up" the fabric there, and the fabric around it is not drawn up.
Your free motion looks lovely!
Dayle

crashnquilt 05-14-2012 06:15 PM

Stitch In the Ditch would definately take care of most if not all of your problem. From the looks of it, you might not have basted enough.

scu114 05-14-2012 06:38 PM

Thanks for replies. I tried to baste it and I thought my top looked so nice when I finished. I did pins and hand basted. I think with all the pushing and moving in the machine-loosened it-- is that possible? I need to know for next time right? lol

I did the loopy di loop design FM-- just in the green sashings down and across. The blocks are 5 inch blocks. quilting lines make a 6 1/2 inch grid on the back.

If I do the SID- do I go all around the outside and inside the 5 inch block or in each of the blocks within the 5 inch block? Do I do this with a walking foot or free motion foot? I like the idea of the serpentine stitch -- where would you do that?

I am just beside myself as I was asked to do this for a friend and I couldn't say no-even though they knew I am just learning and now I fear I have made a mess of it.

Thanks for helping me make it presentable.

Lori S 05-14-2012 06:51 PM

[If I do the SID- do I go all around the outside and inside the 5 inch block or in each of the blocks within the 5 inch block? Do I do this with a walking foot or free motion foot? I like the idea of the serpentine stitch -- where would you do that?]

Use a walking foot for a Stitch in the Ditch or even the Serpentine . I would try to get some "balance" in the quilting in other words even amounts in the distance between quilting through out the quilt. this will help with the "looseness" you describe. I would go around that inner signature square with either a Free Motion scroll type or Stitch in the Ditch. The Free Motion might be more forgiving , and be consistant with the other quilting.

sylviak 05-14-2012 06:51 PM

If your machine has the serpentine stitch, use that and go around each block on both sides of the yellow frame. That may be all you need since the blocks are small. That should remove the "blouseyness". The quilt is very pretty! Just center that serpertine stitch on the seam...it's very forgiving, moreso than SID! And yes, use the walking foot!

kitsykeel 05-14-2012 08:28 PM

I have done stitch in the ditch quite a lot, but don't know what serpentine stitch is. Can you help me?

sharon b 05-14-2012 08:44 PM

Serpentine is more of a wiggle stitch as opposed to just a straight stitch- I use that the most that way I don't have to worry about the lines being perfectly straight :) More like this ~~~~~~ than this --------- does that make sense ? Does your machine have built in stitches ? that is where you would look to find this stitch

thimblebug6000 05-15-2012 07:11 AM

What type of batting did you use? Most battings advise how close your quilting design needs to be so that when the quilt is washed the batting doesn't migrate into a lump between the stitching. Your quilt is lovely so far, and if you have a walking foot, stitch nice & slowly allowing the foot to take the 3 layers of the quilt through without puckering. Because you have already done some quilting to stabilize the blocks, I don't think I would choose stitching that butted up to it. I would probably go around the inside blocks, and yes that does make for ALOT of twisting & turning, but hopefully would keep the back from puckering.