Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-t32137.html)

FinelyFabricated 12-22-2009 02:50 PM

I just made a knitting needle roll but the chalk lines won't come out. I haven't ironed it or run it through the dryer. I did run it through the washer. Some came out but not enough.

How do you get rid of chalk lines?

SulaBug 12-22-2009 02:58 PM

I wish I could help you, but I have no idea, sorry!! :( But I am sure someone has had the same thing happen & will gladly share their experience with you!! GOOD LUCK!!
:D :D :D :D

Leota 12-22-2009 02:59 PM

What color(s) is in your quilt? What color chalk?
You want to test a scrap of you fabric with the soaps before attacking the chalk line to ensure the color won't come out and you have a permanent fade line on you quilt.

Use a damp wash rag with a mild solution of dishsoap or Woolite and gently rub the chalk lines. then run through wash again to get the soap out.

amma 12-22-2009 03:10 PM

Maybe a paste of ColoxII and laundry detergent? Let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then lightly rub and rinse.
Try it on a scrap first to make sure it is not going to cause more problems.

Elisabrat 12-22-2009 03:16 PM

if none of those good ideas work try soilolove its a fabric spot cleaner fairly gentle and gets stuff you never think will come out of fabric out. Its also very cheap. Grocery store its in a green bottle and its about $3 or less. helps with ink, blood you name it. My kids forever damaged their quilts with "good stuff" oh french fry grease.. and I made them out of very nice fabrics and tons of time.. it didnt fade my fabrics and I could just use it on a small area (try a q tip) worth a try. Good luck.

Barb_MO 12-22-2009 05:58 PM

what kind of chalk did you use?

FinelyFabricated 12-23-2009 07:07 AM

I don't know the brand. It's thin sticks that go into a red holder. I got it at Joann's. There is a collection of different colors and an equal number of white sticks to the number of colored ones.

The fabrics are cotton pink, gold and green, one fabric of each color. The light blue chalk came out except where I stitched over it. I had to redo my lines as the instructions weren't clear. All the extra lines came out. The only ones remaining are under the stitching.
After it air dried, the lines are much fainter. I can see them, but I know where to look.
I'll try some SOS (Smoke odor and stain) and some color safe bleach on a test of the fabrics, before I try it on the needle roll. It came out of the green completely. It's really only visible on the gold and pink fabrics.

sewjoyce 12-23-2009 07:15 AM

I would rewash and use a fabric stain remover and wash on delicate. I've had this problem removing chalk also and the stain remover seems to work the best. :D

treeboss 12-27-2009 03:15 PM

I know how difficult this is! I use regualr chalkboard chalk, sharpened on a wide nail file...I know, not very accurate markings but, the general pattern gets there...I use an old, soft-bristled toothbrush, in the direction of the grain of my fabric...dampened in some water and tapped out (usually on the leg of my old blue jeans) to get the marks off.
I have done this with tailor's chalk (those odd looking, square pieces of stuff you buy for an enormous amount of money in the sewing store) and it worked well with the marking pencil (also very expensive, easily broken and down to the nub after just a few projects!).
Since most of my fabrics are things like silks and velvets, I assume the toothbrush method on cotton would not harm anything, since it hasn't done any damage to any of my stuff...YET! :roll:

amma 12-27-2009 06:35 PM

A holder for your knitting needle that rolls up for storage :D:D:D

Did you ever get the marks out of your needle roll.