Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-t86581.html)

Lizard 12-31-2010 05:07 PM

Ok, I'm moving soon. I need my machines serviced too. My problem is there are several reputable places here to get that done, but I know nothing about the very few places in our new location. Another problem, if I do it here, the machines still need moved, and I'm not sure that's not going to throw everything out of whack.

Keep in mind, I still have all my original packing for my machines, styrofoam, wrappings, boxes, everything. Now I always read about how you should put your machine on the backseat, and not the floorboards or trunk when you go to classes and such. I can't do this. One box (embroidery machine) is entirely too big to make this possible. I have a crossover and can fold all my seats down and slide them into the back. Assuming I don't have a ton of other stuff that needs packed into my car (things I'll need right away, like clothes lol) and the machines don't get packed into the containers with the rest of my HHG. Think POD like containers.

So, leary of moving just serviced machines, but don't want to end up somewhere that I can't have them serviced. What would you do?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-31-2010 05:12 PM

I don't think I'd worry about moving them so much since you have all the original packing material. Remember, they came to the store the first time on a truck and turned out just fine. I'd pack well and not worry.

jemma 12-31-2010 05:13 PM

identifie where you are going then the local quilters may help identifie good service people

Kas 12-31-2010 05:13 PM

I would pack them in the original boxes and then carry them myself in the car!

alissa 12-31-2010 05:16 PM

Well if you are not moving out in the boonies I don't think you will have a problem getting them serviced. Maybe where you are moving someone on the board will live close and can tell you where to get them serviced. I travel 1hr and 30mins to get my 6 needle embroidery machine serviced and it is big and takes up most of the back set and the only problem I had with servicing was when the service man hit the top of the machine and pop off one of the tention knob, as he was taking it out of the car. I would not worry to much as long as you are not going to drive on real bumpy roads. I also take my quilting machine in to have it serviced and it is bigger than my embroidery machine, and I do not have any problems transporting either machine, and they are not in the orignal boxes they are just setting on the set. I hope I have helped you.

Sadiemae 12-31-2010 05:28 PM

I take my longarm to be serviced and there is no way it would fit in my car in the box. I just placed fleece blankets all around it and it was fine. In the original boxes I wouldn't worry, those boxes are not always handled carefully when being shipped. Good Luck!

Lizard 12-31-2010 05:58 PM

I'm moving just outside of Corpus Christi. My problem is internet searches haven't produced much for fabric stores (outside Joanns and such) and there are only a couple places listed on the manufacturer site for service. Which aren't always updated, like one of the places listed for my current location closed two years ago. If I knew I could find a good place down there to get them taken care of at, I'd wait. I know I won't be sewing until I get myself unpacked and settled anyway. LOL

quiltedsunshine 12-31-2010 06:05 PM

Hi Lizard,

I would get them serviced before the move. If you have a repair person whom you trust, that means a lot. If you pack them well,they should be fine in the car when you move.

amandasgramma 12-31-2010 06:25 PM

Lizard, I'm with the others on this. Pack in original boxes, put in your car if you can. They'll be okay. As for getting the service done. Post another posting here asking where a good shop is in xxxxx where you'll live (and say Outside of Corpus Christi) I'll bet you 10 to 1 that there's someone on here that can help. May take a few days becuse of the holiday.

sewwhat85 12-31-2010 06:29 PM

good luck with the move