Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Please!!! :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-t87610.html)

Marvel 01-05-2011 06:22 PM

There has been a lot of things said about this not matching up. I had the same problem. When one buys the fabric, spends all the time tring to match points, well let us say all is not lost. You have learned in the process of cutting. The hst should be 7/8 larger than you want the finished size to be .Draw a line from diagonal half from one corner to the other side. Now you just put your blue sq on the white or light sq. Sew 1/4 on each side of the line previously made. Now cut on the center line. You should have 2 perfect hst. Good luck. It only seems hard at first. Once you can do this you probably can do it in your sleep. Marvel

Donna in Mo 01-05-2011 07:08 PM

I just love this board. Everyone is so helpful without making us newbies feel "stupid". This has probably saved me some big mistakes. Thanks to you all!

ilovetosew 01-05-2011 08:27 PM

That's going to be a nice square - love the blue and white.
Janie

katigirl 01-06-2011 12:07 AM

recheck your size seam. I used to have real trouble staying to just a 1/4 inch. Also seems like it may be in the cutting. Both or either of these will give you the sort of problems you are having. Chin up, stick with it, and let us know how it's going. :)

sewing4kix 01-06-2011 05:42 AM

I think, after reading your posts, that the minimum to add is 7/8" but the easiest and preferred method is to add a full inch to these squares and then trim as needed after sewing. I am still searching for any tips and techniques to make quilting easier. It should be fun and not so brain-busting and time consuming. Thanks to you all I will certainly try the 1" method soon :) Happy stitching!

Gabbystabber 01-06-2011 02:29 PM

Making half square triangles larger is the way to go. I know all the books say cut 2 squares 3 and 3/8 inches draw diagonal line, then sew a scant quarter inch on both sides of line, cut apart. But this has never never been accurate for me. I would cut mine 4 inches then trim to 2 and 1/2 inches. Trimming is a pain if you are making lots, but it sure is accurate. Good luck, Looks like a graet block.
Donna

Gramily 01-06-2011 06:29 PM

Hey Skeeter there are many books/articles on making half square triangles. I wish you were here so I could show you how easy it is to do. The next best thing is do a google search on "half square triangles" and you will get more information than you need. In fact you might try searching you.tube. there are hundreds of good little videos out there showing many techniques. Gramily

Ragann63 01-09-2011 09:32 AM

I did a Sister's Choice for my sister two Christmases ago. I would guess your half-squares were measured incorrectly before cutting. Two option: recut/resew the half-squares OR recut small full squares to match the original half-squares and then add a row to make up the difference in the overall size of the quilt. Either option, keep the extra squares and you will get two quilts!!

bonniebusybee 01-11-2011 10:47 PM

Everyone's giving you good advice. For example, I'm working on a pattern with both full squares and some cut into four triangles to be sewn back together. The full squares are cut 5" square; the squares to be cut into four triangles are 5-3/4" square; everything then matches up beautifully.