Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP....Please with twister ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-twister-ruler-t186478.html)

Kyiav10 04-18-2012 09:34 AM

HELP....Please with twister ruler

Hello all....I hope someone can help. I bought the twister ruler and using 5" blocks. I am trying to do borders.

How much will the borders shrink length wise when putting the blocks together? Clear as mud??

Kyia

bakermom 04-18-2012 09:54 AM

If I understand what you are asking, once you add the borders and start cutting the border becomes a part of the pinwheel. If you want to add another border after all the blocks are cut and resewn you will need to measure the finished twister top to get the measurrement you need for a border.

Tartan 04-18-2012 10:43 AM

It depends on which size Twister ruler you are using. If the ruler leaves about 1 inch of waste (usual approx. amount) around each block cut out, then just multiply 1inch by how many blocks you are doing in a row and subtract that amount from the starting size.

Kyiav10 04-18-2012 03:11 PM

I am wondering how many inches shorter the border will be with 5" blocks starting out and when I cut the twister and resew what will be the final measurement?

Kyia

Kyiav10 04-19-2012 02:40 AM

Nobody knows this? Lots of people have used it. Maybe I'll have to make a demo and see.

Kyia

Kathy T. 04-19-2012 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't cut the borders first for the same reason, I think - I didn't know how much to cut. This is what I ended up with from the first one I did:
(1) the 5" blocks were laid out 7 blocks wide by 8 blocks down (5 colored blocks by 6 colored blocks, surrounded by the light blue blocks that make the partial first "border"
(2) the second light blue border (not involved with the twister cutting) ended up being cut 18 1/4 by 21 1/4.

Don't know if there is a ratio there to calculate other sizes. Here's a photo of the unironed finish:

Kyiav10 04-19-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. (Post 5153441)
I didn't cut the borders first for the same reason, I think - I didn't know how much to cut. This is what I ended up with from the first one I did: (1) the 5" blocks were laid out 7 blocks wide by 8 blocks down (5 colored blocks by 6 colored blocks, surrounded by the light blue blocks that make the partial first "border" (2) the second light blue border (not involved with the twister cutting) ended up being cut 18 1/4 by 21 1/4. Don't know if there is a ratio there to calculate other sizes. Here's a photo of the unironed finish:

Thank you Kathy for trying to explain it to me. I am actually doing a stip of 5 inch blocks with a WOW border but dont know how short it will be. I took three 5" blocks, sewed them together, put a border on it and cut and sewed. The one completed pinwheel gives me a 6" finished block. I am going to do the border in a ratio of 6". We'll see how it goes, my math really stinks. Kyia

Jim 04-19-2012 09:25 PM

rule of thumb with the twister is after cutting and resewing its approximately 25% smaller...I've done probably 12 twister quilts and just finished teaching a class on twisters...that rule has been pretty close every time

Kyiav10 04-20-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 5155842)
rule of thumb with the twister is after cutting and resewing its approximately 25% smaller...I've done probably 12 twister quilts and just finished teaching a class on twisters...that rule has been pretty close every time

Thank you Jim. I will put this in use!

Kyia

Handcraftsbyjen 04-22-2012 02:13 AM

Depending on which of the 4 Twister Rulers you are using, just measure your ruler, subtract 1/2" for your seam allowances and multiply by the number of blocks you have. That will be your finished size for your border once they are cut and sewn back together. However, it's always best to measure your actual piece before adding your borders...that way your quilt will remain square.