Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Please, Why is my Bobbin Thread Showing on the top of my Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-why-my-bobbin-thread-showing-top-my-quilt-t131274.html)

maine ladybug 06-17-2011 05:53 PM

You explained that beautifully. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lindsey
When upper and lower thread tensions are balanced, knot between top and bottom threads is hidden between fabric layers When lower tension is too loose (or upper tension is too tight), knot is visible on right side of the fabric When upper tension is too loose (or lower tension is too tight), knot is visible on wrong side of the fabric. Perhaps you are now using two different color threads and it is more noticeable. Try using the same color thread and see if you stil notice the thread showing on the top. Yes, and clean out your bobbin area it sure could be that dust bunny in there.

quiltmyride 10-03-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Numa (Post 3503018)
Rule of thumb is that if the problem is on the underneath of what you're sewing, the messed up part is on the top (tension, threading, needle, etc). If the problem is on the top side of what you're sewing, the messed up part is underneath (bobbin, bobbin tension, lint, bobbin case). Hope this helps.

HI, I have a 6260 Janome and I am having a problem with the bobbin thread showing on top with the feed dogs lowered. I have the top tension on Auto and the bottom on 3, I am using monofilament thread on top and bobbin thread in the bobbin. Any help would be sooo appreciated as I have 4 quilts to do!

Peckish 10-03-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmyride (Post 6329002)
HI, I have a 6260 Janome and I am having a problem with the bobbin thread showing on top with the feed dogs lowered. I have the top tension on Auto and the bottom on 3, I am using monofilament thread on top and bobbin thread in the bobbin. Any help would be sooo appreciated as I have 4 quilts to do!

Monofilament is notoriously finicky. I don't know what your machine would use as "auto" on the tension, but typically you need to loosen the tension for this type of thread. It might be a good idea to make a practice sandwich of fabric and identical batting and do some sample stitching, making adjustments with the tension.

Tartan 10-03-2013 02:45 PM

If all your settings are the same and same thread, check to see how much thread is left on the bobbin. Sometimes the bobbin getting low can change the tension for me.

Peckish 10-03-2013 03:01 PM

Quiltmyride - you might also get more answers to your question if you post a new topic, instead of burying your question in an old topic (this thread is 2 years old). Lots of people reading it might not realize you asked a new question towards the end.... :thumbup:

quiltmyride 10-03-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6329039)
Quiltmyride - you might also get more answers to your question if you post a new topic, instead of burying your question in an old topic (this thread is 2 years old). Lots of people reading it might not realize you asked a new question towards the end.... :thumbup:

I wound up here because I googled "quilting tension"! Glad I did. My quilt sandwich is not any better but I thought I could work on the big quilt and go slowly enough to have it come out looking good...am now taking out 2 rows of meander. I think I will take my machine back to the shop and have them look at it.
Johnna

Peckish 10-03-2013 05:16 PM

Or try a different thread. As I said, monofilament is notoriously finicky.