Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help to print off paper pieced pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-print-off-paper-pieced-pattern-t276511.html)

Whitney60 03-08-2016 11:07 AM

Help to print off paper pieced pattern

I have a paper pieced pattern I want to copy. I purchased the paper piecing paper (Carol D.) from the local quilt shop and want to copy several pages. The paper was too thin for Kinko's and my printer is an ink jet (which we are not to use because the ink may bleed). I hope there is a better way than tracing my block by hand. Any suggestions to copy pattern on to this paper piecing paper. Thank you.

feline fanatic 03-08-2016 11:14 AM

You can use any paper to PP. You don't have to use Carol D.s special paper which is like newsprint. Go back to Kinko's and have them copy your pattern on to regular copy paper. You will be fine. Shorten your stitch length when PP so it will be easier to tear away.

NJ Quilter 03-08-2016 11:16 AM

I use regular copy paper in my ink jet printer to print off and/or copy paper piecing patterns. I've never had an issue with the ink bleeding but I've not used the Carol Doak paper in my printer. Perhaps print out one copy and test both immediately after printing as well as after waiting a bit to see if the ink smears??? Just remember to turn off 'scaling' in your printer settings when printing the pages or they may not print true to size.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 03-08-2016 11:47 AM

I have experienced a small amount of bleed one time but luckily everything washed out. Since then I went to a shade of gray instead of black and went with the draft mode as well as kept my iron off the hottest setting and no more problems.

PaperPrincess 03-08-2016 11:54 AM

I went to a big box stationery store & purchased the thinnest copy paper they had. I've never had an issue with bleeding. The printed portion goes on the back of the block, with the printing away from the fabric. I don't use steam when I press. I would do a test with your inkjet ink.

Kitsie 03-08-2016 12:16 PM

I heat attach (iron across the top 1/2") of the freezer paper onto normal, cheap printer paper and load it in to my inkjet one at a time. The pattern comes out printed on the FP and is ready to go!

Claire123 03-08-2016 12:46 PM

It depends how many copies you need. Do you need quite a few? If I only need one I usually manually copy it. If you're making a large quilt and need many, an office supply s/b able to help you.

ManiacQuilter2 03-08-2016 12:49 PM

I use the cheapest paper on my deskjet printer when I print my PP blocks. Make sure there is an allowance statement in Carol D's book that allows you to make copies of her patterns. They may question you when you are at the copy machine.

Up North 03-08-2016 12:58 PM

I have an ink jet printer have used Carol's paper with no problem but find the scribble pads from Dollar tree work just as well.

AliKat 03-08-2016 09:27 PM

Back when I did more PP I used 25% rag vellum from one of our paper stores down here. Used my own ink jet printer. No smearing. Worked really well. Not as thick as regular copy paper. Easy to remove.