Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help: quilt still stiff after 1st wash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-quilt-still-stiff-after-1st-wash-t166843.html)

Jim's Gem 11-07-2011 10:39 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!! I wash with Tide and Downey, give it an extra rinse and throw it in the dryer.

jamsbuying 11-07-2011 10:45 AM

Welcome to the board... pretty quilt... I always use Warm & White/Natural and normally spray baste - never had the problem. I would try your regular detergent, probably the Woolite wasn't strong enough.

Lori S 11-07-2011 10:50 AM

I find that cold water is not enough to get out the spray basting. WhenI try to wipe the overspray that happens , cold water does not remove it , but warm does. Hope you get your quilt softened up!

Keep Them In Stitches 11-07-2011 10:59 AM

Thank you for posting your question. And thanks to all for the responses. I needed these answers, too.

kbeth 11-07-2011 11:03 AM

Thanks for all of the kind replies. Tide & Downy it is. I'm throwing it back in the wash and will let you know the result. :)

shnnn 11-07-2011 11:12 AM

kbeth - I'd bet a warm wash with regular detergent would help - it's probably the spray baste not washing out.

Arcy 11-07-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 4647538)
Welcome to the board from Southern California!!! I wash with Tide and Downey, give it an extra rinse and throw it in the dryer.

Absolutely! Wash with liquid Tide (Tide Free and Clear if you have it) in warm water, use the Downey but do use the extra rinse to get out all the detergent chemicals, and then dry in dryer. Baby quilts are going to be washed often during their lifetimes so it certainly is not going to hurt the quilt.
I have an 8 month old grandchild to make quilts for and always wash the new quilts a couple of times before gifting.

CorgiNole 11-07-2011 11:17 AM

Instead of Downy, you might consider using white vinegar in the rinse. I promise, the quilt won't come out smelling like a salad. The vinegar will help remove any remaining soap residue and also soften. We don't use fabric softeners at home due to my sensitivity to fragrances. I also agree with the recommendation to use a "Free & Clear" detergent if you have the option.

Cheers, K

(It looks like a beautiful quilt. I'm sure they will love it).

ckcowl 11-07-2011 11:19 AM

i always wash my finished quilts exactly how i think the person receiving it will care for it---a baby quilt gets washed ALOT- and takes abuse---i wash them in warm water- with detergent- with fabric softener= and i dry them in a nice regular setting dryer=
you want a baby quilt to be soft and fluffy- the hot dryer does that-
it's not an heirloom to live in a box under the bed- it's a baby quilt- to wrap a baby in- to put down for a baby to lay on--in other words- to be used- treat it as such---(save the timid----'i'm afraid to look crosseyed at it---don't want to even get it wet---treatment for the heirloom that will live in a box under the bed---until some future generation finds it- hauls it out- and throws it into a washer.

EasyPeezy 11-07-2011 11:26 AM

My last quilt was made with Warm & White and I washed it with Woolite (cold gentle wash, dry on low temp) and it came out just fine. However, I don't Spray baste so that's probably the culprit.