Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-rag-quilt-t238423.html)

ninalea 01-08-2014 02:59 PM

Help with rag quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I made my first quilt--a rag quilt for my granddaughter for Christmas. (see attached) Now I would like to make a St. Louis Cardinal rag quilt for my grandson. However, I have only been able to find Cardinal fabric in flannel. Does anyone know if that will ravel for the "rag" look when I wash it?

CGail 01-08-2014 03:02 PM

Flannel is all that I have ever used for rag quilts. I didn't even realize you could use anything else. I have made quite a few flannel rag quilts, and I always use two squares of flannel and no batting. They are very comfortable and warm.

Tartan 01-08-2014 03:04 PM

Flannel is less dense that quilting cotton and should rag well. It might be a messier when washed so clean out the lint trap after washing.

ninalea 01-08-2014 05:09 PM

Thanks for your help. For the black and white one I made from cotton, I took it to a laundromat so I wouldn't clog up my washer and dryer. So I shouldn't use any batting? If not, that will make it much easier.

I will purchase the flannel and get started on my next project.

dunster 01-08-2014 05:43 PM

I use three layers of flannel, all cut the same size, in my rag quilts. You don't really have to have 3 layers, but it gives more fabric to rag, as well as a warmer quilt. I always prewash the flannel since it shrinks more than regular quilting cotton.

sew watts quilter 01-08-2014 05:54 PM

I made my first rag quilt recently. I used flannel for the front and fleece for the back. No batting. I'm really happy with it.

quiltingcandy 01-08-2014 05:55 PM

My question is where did you find ST Louis Cardinal flannel? I would love to get my hands on some MLB flannel. I can find fleece - but no flannel or cotton. I found cotton on Ebay - but they want way too much for very small pieces.

Donnamarie 01-09-2014 06:15 AM

I have only made rag quilts with flannel. According to the directions, they tell you to use flannel. I think you will love it once its done. Even though I use flannel I do sandwich it with a smaller piece of batting and sew an X thru it to hold it together.

AliKat 01-09-2014 09:33 AM

I, too, use flannel for my rag quilts.

I do take it to the laundromat to finish the ragging process there - after snipping the fabric at home I take it to the laundromat, get it wet, and put it in the industrial sized dryer without heat til most of the threads drop away. I end up with a whale of a lot of thread lint this way. When no more thread lint, I dry the quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 01-09-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ninalea (Post 6501455)
Thanks for your help. For the black and white one I made from cotton, I took it to a laundromat so I wouldn't clog up my washer and dryer. So I shouldn't use any batting? If not, that will make it much easier.

Mine too is made with flannel. and YES take your rag quilt to the Laundromat for the first washing!! My best friend had to call a plumber to unclog the pipes from washing too many rag rugs !!