Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with rotary cutters. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-rotary-cutters-t96664.html)

aggiebears 02-04-2011 08:03 AM

I have always cut all material and such with scissors. What is a good cutter and mat. I've decided that it takes too long to do everything the way I have always have done them. :)

Cyn 02-04-2011 08:05 AM

I have all kinds and really haven't noticed a big difference in any of them.

babyfireo4 02-04-2011 08:07 AM

I've never had trouble with any brand I've bought. My problem is that I always seem to need a larger mat for biger projects :) Never had any problems with off brand rotary cutter either! Just remember that if you're having to put much effort on the blade "after awhile" then you probably need a new blade *I learned that the hard way!*

Jagsd3 02-04-2011 08:11 AM

I have a Olfa-regular, a Gingher- ergomatic(sp), a fiskar and a Sullivains (ergomatic-sp) Rotary Cutter all 45mm and I tend to use the Olfa-regular more than any other. For a mat I have a Fiskar and a Olfa and use them both about the same be sure that they are self healing they last much longer.

ktbb 02-04-2011 08:12 AM

there are several styles of cutters and you need to try them out to see what is more comfortable for you. I personally recommend the kind that opens when you squeeze the handle and closes when you release the handle...for safety sake. Brand name doesn't seem to make a difference in the cutters. I agree with babyfire4 that bigger is better in mats. The mat should be advertised as "self-healing" or some similar term.

Scissor Queen 02-04-2011 08:13 AM

I have used several different cutters and blades. I have several Fiskars cutters, a Martelli, a Clauss and a Gingher. I have to say once I got the Gingher all the rest paled in comparison. The Gingher is *expensive* but you can get it for 40% off or 50% off with a coupon at Jo-Ann's. The Gingher blades are shaper than any other blade I've used and I've used even more brands of blades than cutters.

Shelbie 02-04-2011 08:20 AM

I would recommend the Olfa 45mm cutter with the slightly curved handle. I've tried many different ones and these are still my favourites. I'd buy the larger mat 24" X 36" so that you can cut a complete strip the width of the fabric. You'll also need a basic ruler. My personal favourite and most often used is the 5" X 24" O'Lipfa with the little edge that hugs your cutting board resulting in far fewer miscuts and slips. This will get you started but you should also get someone who is really good at cutting to show you and give you some tips. It's not as easy as you might think at first and we don't want you discouraged or cut from poor rotary cutting technique.

Jagsd3 02-04-2011 08:22 AM

Also be sure and check ebay....sometimes you can find some really good deals there. I got a whole set for 30.00 once (6 different ones all gingher including 8" dressmaker, embroidery (2) types, applique, and a 8" pinking. Brand new with paper still with them.

littlehud 02-04-2011 08:27 AM

I have an Olfa cutter and love it. I just invested in a larger cutting board, but have used my smaller one for years.

nycquilter 02-04-2011 08:42 AM

go for the largest sized board you can afford and that will fit your work surface. I have the 36x24 (or thereabouts) size cutting mat and I love it. If I had a larger surface, I'd have a larger mat. I have smaller mats that are rarely used. My 8x12 I use in other locations, like on the back patio during the summer, when cutting scraps into specific sizes. Other than that, it's my large mat only.

Laurie