Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Satin stitching messing up. OR Do I kill the penguin or the machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-satin-stitching-messing-up-do-i-kill-penguin-machine-t272024.html)

hudgoddess 11-08-2015 01:43 PM

Help! Satin stitching messing up. OR Do I kill the penguin or the machine?

3 Attachment(s)
Why is my satin stitching skipping? I've ripped the bobbin area apart and cleaned it to within an inch of it's life. I've brushed out everything on the top thread path. I've changed thread. I've changed needles. Twice. It's the top thread that keeps breaking. I lightened the tension on the top thread. Both threads seam to pull evenly.
This little penguin is so cute! I just want to finish him and be proud of the stitching!
The first pic is the back, the second is the front. The third is the penguin who may get chucked in the garbage if I can't get this to work.

cjsews 11-08-2015 02:36 PM

The only thing I can think is to try a larger size needle. Cute penguin

Tiggersmom 11-08-2015 02:43 PM

New needle, rethread machine, use a stabelizer that can be taken out, don't pull from behind the machine................all mistakes most of us do.
When was the last time you cleaned your machine? Does it sew a straight seam without skipping?

Penguin is Not at fault........gotta be the machine........

hudgoddess 11-08-2015 02:59 PM

Penguin is Not at fault........gotta be the machine........[/QUOTE]

...or the operator!

CanoePam 11-08-2015 03:25 PM

Is it felt or flannel? It looks like it isn't feeding smoothly. Make sure everything is squeaky clean (especially the feed dogs). Maybe lighten the pressure on the presser foot some. Is it something you could use a piece of stabilizer on the back? Either a piece of very thin paper or some embroidery tear away stabilizer can make challenging fabrics feed better.

Cute penguin!

Pam

Scissor Queen 11-08-2015 04:12 PM

The type of needle you are using can make a big difference. For that I'd try a topstitch needle.

hudgoddess 11-08-2015 04:20 PM

I switched to embroidery thread and it's going much better. This is 3 layers of fleece, so I'm not using any stabilizer. I'm using a ball point needle. And I'm using my walking foot to feed all those layers through evenly. I've made this type of quilt a LOT in the last few years - I've never had this much trouble before! Guess it's time to take the old girl in for a real service.

Tartan 11-08-2015 07:13 PM

The close weave of the fleece and thickness might be the problem. Sounds like different thread is working but if that fails, you might try couching yarn or ribbon down on the edges instead?

Mdegenhart 11-08-2015 07:41 PM

I don't think the walking foot is supposed to be used with zig zag type stitching.

kayluvs2quilt 11-08-2015 09:29 PM

My Pfaff instructions do not recommend the walking foot with zigzag stitches.