Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with sewing batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-sewing-batiks-t171948.html)

pattypurple 12-13-2011 04:31 PM

Help with sewing batiks

1 Attachment(s)
I'm making a wall hanging with the fusible, laser cut "stained glass" leading. It is a big (27 X 42) Nativity scene. The directions say that you don't need to sew down after fusing the applique to the batik, but I want to do a little topstitching for definition and to act as the quilting. I've layered it with a thin poly batting and a batik back. I've switched to a microtex sharp needle and lengthened the stitch length a little and when I can get the machine to stitch at all I get skipped stitches. I'm at a loss. May have to give up on any extra stitching. This is a picture of what I'm doing it is from The Creative Iron
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

greensleeves 12-13-2011 05:40 PM

Their fusible may be the no-sew type.

Prism99 12-13-2011 07:54 PM

What brand and type of fusible did you use? Some fusibles are not made to be sewn through.

Tartan 12-13-2011 08:42 PM

Yes, it might be the fusible. Rather than trying to stitch on the black lead part, can you use a stitch like the buttonhole that would be mostly on the background fabric? I love the look of the creative iron pictures.

Connie M. 12-13-2011 09:36 PM

I agree. You need to use the type of fusible that is made to be stitched through, but I have even had my needles gum up some with that. What I do is clean the needle good with denatured alcohol, if it has gummed up, then rub a little "Sewer's Aid" on the needle and run a bead of Sewers Aid from bottom to top on the spool of thread. You can buy Sewers Aid at JoAnns in the notions dept. It is a silicone type liquid in a little bottle, and it wont stain your fabric. It works on most things where you have trouble with skipped stitches and the like. Sometimes a bigger needle than usual helps too. Hope some of these ideas help. Post a pic when you get it done. It will be gorgeous.

grammysharon 12-14-2011 07:27 AM

That would be my guess too, non-sew fusible. Try with a top-stitch needle 90/14 as a last ditch effort.

Originally Posted by greensleeves (Post 4779253)
Their fusible may be the no-sew type.

Krisb 12-14-2011 08:40 AM

Please update on what works. This is a project on my list; they have some beautiful laser cuts.

suezquilts 12-14-2011 12:18 PM

I have quilted this product on a LA, so I didn't really have any problems. I think the glue is what maybe throwing you off. I quilted in the backround. Hope it works out, it is beautiful.
Enjoy!

Holice 12-14-2011 02:18 PM

I would use another fabric (rather than batik) on the back unless there is some strong reason to use the batik.
This reduces the stress a bit.

pattypurple 12-14-2011 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone. The black laser cut comes with the fusible already on it, so I don't know what type it is. Think I've decided to just do some minor quilting in the background only. It is only a wall hanging so won't get lots of wear.