Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with slightly wavy borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-slightly-wavy-borders-t210502.html)

Corky 01-10-2013 10:04 AM

This is great advice and makes all the difference. The ONLY time I will cut across the width (selvedge to selvedge) is with a directional print.

Also, always measure across the middle and sides to get an average, then cut the borders exactly to that size. I allows you to ease in any extra or stretch a bit if needed to make the quilt square. Once your border piece is cut to the exact measurement, find the center of your quilt side and match it to the center of the border strip. Start pinning from the center and work out to both corners.

Also, make sure you are not stretching the border as you sew,

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5772971)
these are suggestions for future quilts since you have already decided to not change this one.

you didn't mention whether or not you used a walking foot.
if you didn't, i highly recommend you use one for future borders.
they are also very helpful when attaching binding.

i never cut my border strips across the width of the fabric. (weft/woof)
i cut up the length of the fabric. (warp)

this will sometimes mean additional piecing to get borders the length i need, but it's well worth the effort.

the woof/weft stretches.
the warp does not.

little saying to help me remember:
the fabric's warp will not [warp].

Corky 01-10-2013 10:06 AM

If you cannot remember, just take the edge of the fabric and pull a bit. The side along the selvedges will not stretch, the side (width) from selvedge to selvedge will stretch and that is the one you do not want to use. Yes, you may have to piece it but it's worth it to not deal with wavy borders

Originally Posted by kjohnson0523 (Post 5775856)
OK, I have thought about this. Does the warp run in the same direction of the selvage? So, does your cut run parallel to the selvage? I think this is a tip that I will be using but I want to make sure that I am clear on how to do it.
Thanks
Kim

duckydo 01-10-2013 10:08 AM

Bonnie Hunter at quiltville.com has the best explanation of how to put on boders and not have them waving.. since I started using her method have not has any wavy boarders... If someone else has posted this, sorry for the repeat.

topstitch 01-10-2013 10:13 AM

As a LAer, I have eased in more fabric then I see in your picture. I think it will not be hard for your LAer to do so also.

luciab 01-10-2013 12:41 PM

Your quilt top is very pretty and doesn't need anything else. It's pretty on its own. I vote for going without the border. I know everyone has their own personal preferences, but my favorite quilts are always those without borders.

QultingaddictUK 01-10-2013 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5775713)
Unless the border is essential to the look of the quilt I seldom put a border on. I think too many quilts look like framed pictures. Most borders don't add anything to the quilt but size.

We all have our opinion, its the differences that makes the world go round, but I must admit that I like "framing" my quilts with borders.

This recently finished one would be nothing without it's borders, in my opinion.

danade 01-10-2013 03:23 PM

I think if you don't remove that border you will always be aware that the problem is there and never be happy with the finished quilt. Though I'm certainly no expert, it's hard to understand how a longarmer could deal with it to your satisfaction in the end.

I do want to add that I agree that the quilt top without the border is beautiful, but the pattern is complex enough that just a binding would be prettier on it, IMHO only, of course. The current border fabric doesn't seem to quite fit with the rest of the fabrics colorwise.

Minnesewta-sam 01-10-2013 03:50 PM

Other than the border, the quilt looks really squared. I would remove the border and leave it off. I think that outside fabric detracts from the beauty of the quit IMHO. Thanks for sharing and good luck with whatever you decide.

sewdamncute 01-10-2013 06:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I frequently get customer quilts with wavy borders....follow all the good advice here, it is best to do it correctly. That being said, here is a before and after.[ATTACH=CONFIG]387330[/ATSTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]387331[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the first giant picture...couldn't seem to delete it. The pictures do not show the exact same spot on the border, but with alot of easing and a great steam iron I was able to flatten it out.

rush88888 01-11-2013 03:43 AM

i want to thank everyone for their time in answering my question. measuring vs. not measuring seems to be split 50-50. some people thought that the border detracted from the whole...that said, i will probably be cutting down the border some. i think that might help with the waviness a little. i learned alot from this quilt! there are flaws...plenty of mistakes in measuring! my accuracy needs to improve! i only hope that, as time goes on, i can improve my skills. again...thank you to everyone for your opinions as i valued every one!