Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Steam-a-Seam Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-steam-seam-question-t205630.html)

Digitizingqueen 11-12-2012 01:53 PM

I have used both I have never had skipped stitches with either product or had a gummed needle for that matter ... Sounds like you might need to change your needles and maybe retread your bobbins...

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5648280)
I use Steam a Seam Lite 2 all the time and have never had any problems with it. I've never had skipped stitches or had gummed up needles. It's always been a delight to work with. I've never worked with Heat-n-Bond before, so I don't know how that works, so I can't compare the two. I'm so sorry you are having trouble with your applique. Did you try a new needle? New thread and new thread in your bobbin?

I applique all the time and that's all I ever use, so I'm trying to figure out what else could be the problem.

nstitches4u 11-12-2012 06:04 PM

That is unusual. I have used Steam-a-seam

nstitches4u 11-12-2012 06:53 PM

My last post got interrupted by a phone call from a friend who was having machine problems. When I tried to finish the post I got a message that said I couldn't make changes to a post after 20 minutes. It took longer than that to solve the machine problem over the phone. lol So I'll try this again.

That is unusual. I have used Steam-a-Seam without any problem of stickiness on the needle or skipped stitches. On the other hand, I was having problems with an applique where I had used Heat and Bond. New needle, etc. didn't fix the problem, so I took my machine in to the dealer because it was still skipping stitches. They told me it was the Heat and Bond that was causing the problem. I quit using it and never had another problem.

Lori S 11-12-2012 07:02 PM

As for the heat and bond ... check the notions wall. My Jo'ann's stopped carrying it on bolts .. but its on a roll on the notions wall.

charlotte37830 11-12-2012 07:33 PM

I have used both also and never have had any problems at all. Hope you figure out what is wrong and that you don't have to start over.

Heylure 11-12-2012 09:25 PM

Sometimes heat & bond & steam a seam get old & sticky. Even if you purchased it recently, you have no idea how long it's been in the store. Try buying some fresh fusible & see if that works.

chuckbere15 11-13-2012 12:40 AM

I am working on an appliquéd quilt now using the steam a seam from Joann's and I'm not having that problem. I am using a needle for batiks (brain fart is preventing me from remembering the name), with 50 weight thread, and I am ironing on freezer paper to stabilize. I am not getting skipped stitches. I have done both with and with out the freezer paper but I get better control and stitches with it.

Phyllis nm 11-13-2012 08:56 PM

There are 2 types of heat and bond, one is light works well the other is heavy. <o:p></o:p>
I could not stitch through the heavy at all and I have a roll of it. Plan on NOT
STITCHING the heavy, do not put it in the seams.<o:p></o:p>