Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with a stitch on Janome 6600P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-stitch-janome-6600p-t92911.html)

PghPat 01-22-2011 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is going to sound so dumb but I still don't know how to do most of the stitches that most machines are capable of. It is a simple stitch that I want to do.

I want to top stitch seams together - it is on something that no one will really see - actually corn bags - but the seams have to be very strong. I actually tried a zig zag stitch but it didn't seem like it would hold very well. I don't want corn falling out all over the bed - LOL.

The reason I don't want to sew it on the wrong side and turn it is because I want to make a good many different channels and fill them as I go - fill them and make another channel. Does that make sense? I'm enclosing a picture (not a very good one) to show you one I made and had a heck of a time having made it the way I explained - sewing and turning it - then filling it with corn and trying to make channels.

Oh well, maybe someone will understand and come up with the stitch I should be using. Thanks!

Pat

sewcrafty 01-22-2011 05:12 PM

If I understand this correctly, I would just turn the fabric ends inside and then use just a reg. stitch. I would adjust my stitch length to like 1.5 - 1.8 though to make it a very tight stitch.

B. Louise 01-22-2011 05:28 PM

I can't help you with your machine, but with a corn bag idea. I sew mine, turn it right side out, and then topstitch partial channels. Then I fill one end and shake them down until I have room to stitch the end shut.

Kathy N 01-22-2011 05:30 PM

There is a triple stitch that is very strong. Itgoes forward, backward and then forward again for each stitch.

quiltstodo 01-22-2011 08:14 PM

The triple stitch on the machine is #5 that works great for this sort of thing

sewwhat85 01-22-2011 10:47 PM

that is the stitch i would use also

EasyPeezy 01-22-2011 11:14 PM

Pat, it's not dumb at all cause we all get to learn something.
I have to admit I never knew about this stitch.
I'll have to try that tomorrow.

stitchofclass2 01-23-2011 07:49 AM

I too make corn bags. I love the way you do them. It is so much fun to learn from all of you. Your stitching ideas are great too. On my Pfaff there is a "quilting" stitch, which also goes back and forth. This may be similar. By the way, we sew ours and turn them and have never lost a kernal of corn. Funny though, I was heating up two of them (quite hot) to put in a cooler to keep a nail gun warm and I heard a couple of kernals pop. Why were we keeping the gun warm, you may ask? Because we were using it in -9 F degree weather and they say they only work to 29 degrees or so. The cooler and hot corn bags worked like a charm. Who knew???

PghPat 01-23-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
The triple stitch on the machine is #5 that works great for this sort of thing

Thanks, QuiltsToDo - that was exactly what I was looking for - it works great - good solid seams.

Pat

quiltstodo 01-23-2011 01:16 PM

Welcome glad I could help