Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t129409.html)

MellieKQuilter 06-10-2011 07:52 AM

I have a mental block! I have all sorts of fabric and all sorts of patterns and ideas, I just cant "pick" what to do!! How odd is that! I feel like I cant make something that I just bought fabric to do when I have older projects that I havent started yet but have the fabric for... so I end up doing nothing! (well, I have a handquilting WIP and a quilt top WIP, so I am doing something, but I just really want to get started on the next project).

So... my question is, how do you pick what to do next??

babyfireo4 06-10-2011 07:59 AM

honestly, If i don't already have something planned and ready to go. I close my eyes and feel around in my stash until I find the fabric that feels right. After I see it, it's just a matter of picking the coordinating pieces and what pattern fits.

ctub0126 06-10-2011 08:23 AM

"I will not have another unfinished project, I will not have another unfinished project, I will not have another unfinished project!"

That's my mantra for now....... I have a long list of things that need made, usually by a due date which helps, when I need to start something new I look at what's due next.

Cheryl

MellieKQuilter 06-10-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ctub0126
"I will not have another unfinished project, I will not have another unfinished project, I will not have another unfinished project!"

That's my mantra for now....... I have a long list of things that need made, usually by a due date which helps, when I need to start something new I look at what's due next.

Cheryl

That part of my problem... I dont have anything that I HAVE to do... just a TON of things I WANT to do. :)

ctub0126 06-10-2011 08:29 AM

Maybe I wasn't clear, when I pick projects I want to do I give them a due date (usually 2 years if it's not going to be a gift). Then I work in order of due date.... think of it as a ranking system :). Of course right now i'm finishing projects I started before I got pregnant and got "forgotten." "I will not have another unfinished project!" :) good luck

mom-6 06-10-2011 08:38 AM

I have sort of the same problem, but mine is that I have three that were intended for birthdays last year!
Two are even sandwiched and hand quilting started. The third just has the fabric selected and bagged so I don't use it for something else. And there is a fourth that I've gotten a few of the blocks done and can't seem to bring myself to go back and finish the rest.
Guess I will have to tell myself no new projects till at least some of these are done.

cathyvv 06-10-2011 08:48 AM

Sounds like you just need to take a break and do no quilting for at least a week. When you're hands are itching to get on the machine and start piecing, then you will be able to pick a project.

If that doesn't work, put the name of each project in a small bowl and pick one name out. That's the project to do. If you pick one out and say to yourself, "But I really wanted to do <name project>." Then make that you're second project.

Hope this helps.

MellieKQuilter 06-10-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ctub0126
Maybe I wasn't clear, when I pick projects I want to do I give them a due date (usually 2 years if it's not going to be a gift). Then I work in order of due date.... think of it as a ranking system :). Of course right now i'm finishing projects I started before I got pregnant and got "forgotten." "I will not have another unfinished project!" :) good luck

Oh! I understand!

MellieKQuilter 06-10-2011 08:55 AM

Idea... Maybe I will put together all the projects I have material for, name them, put the names in the hat and give myself a schedule? And no new fabric till at least half are done!! Feeling good about that!

ctub0126 06-10-2011 08:56 AM

There you go!