Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t197107.html)

UAEquilter 08-08-2012 09:39 PM

Help!!!

Hi there! Am new to this forum and to quilting (which I love!) Have only made 6 quilts so far and in my (questionable) wisdom, decided to make a Double wedding ring for my daughters wedding. All went well until I joined the connecting corners and now the centre and melons are all pulled, ruched and just will not lay flat. Is there any way I can salvage this quilt or does it have to be totally unpicked? Please, please can someone help???

taimi 08-08-2012 09:50 PM

I think I understand what you are saying, did you clip the curves after you stitched them? If you can post a pic of both the front and back of the top it might make troubleshooting a little easier :)

UAEquilter 08-08-2012 11:53 PM

Thank you for your speedy reply taimi. I have not clipped the curves so will try that and if it doesn't help will post pics asap. Many thanks

bearisgray 08-09-2012 05:43 AM

How about posting pics BEFORE you do anything else?

Tartan 08-09-2012 08:16 AM

Is it not laying flat because of too much fabric in the corners? If so you can unpick just the corners and sew a little larger seam. If the corners are too tight with not enough fabric then you may need to pick them out and recut bigger corners. Did you stop at the 1/4 inch lines at the intersections or sew across them without stopping. The seam lines that cross really need to be free for the top to lay flat. If you can post a picture I would do that first.

Jan in VA 08-10-2012 06:06 PM

WHY do beginning quilters do these patterns with curves, biases, set in seams, and multiple triangles that have bias edges?????

There are so many easier places to start which make beautiful quilts, practice skills, improve with practice, teach skill levels that build one on another. I just hate to see people get frustrated right out of the gate when classes can teach quilters the precious basic skills that will give them a lifetime of love for the art.

I hope you receive the answers you need. Perhaps this will become your first UFO for awhile as you step back and start over on another quilt with straight set edges.

Please understand....I am NOT bashing you!! I assume the chances are good that either someone led you astray, or you didn't have good guidance at first. I really want you to enjoy your new hobby!!

Best of luck to you!:)

Jan in VA

DOTTYMO 08-11-2012 11:46 PM

I have just finished a double wedding ring. I followed and watched you tube videos before and during the making. For more advanced quilters, I divided the quilt into 9 sections and pieced and quilted ech separately. I then joined by machining top as it would have been in normal way then trimmed batting and hand turned and stitched the back.then quilted over the join keeping in the pattern. So easy, harder to write.

ptquilts 08-12-2012 03:11 AM

one of my first quilts was a Tumbling Blocks - what are you gonna do, when you fall in love with a pattern.......