Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t269159.html)

grammysharon 08-24-2015 09:51 AM

Help??

1 Attachment(s)
I offered to quilt this butterfly for a friend rather than have her throw it away. Now my problem is I haven't figured out what to quilt in the blades(wings). Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you for looking. (I free motion on a Bernina 830)

QuiltnNan 08-24-2015 10:03 AM

i'd follow the curves of the wings to give it some movement

Bree123 08-24-2015 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with QuiltnNan -- maybe also put some smaller stippling around the edges of the butterfly.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528621[/ATTACH]

Onebyone 08-24-2015 11:54 AM

I hope she gives you the quilt, she should. I would put different size small circles in each wing blade.

ibex94 08-24-2015 12:13 PM

the staggering of the colors on the edges of the wings make this butterfly dazzle in your picture. I would stitch in the ditch on the blades to make sure that the shimmer of the colors doesn't get compromised by the quilting. Match the thread color to the color in the ditch. More work but will keep the dazzle going. Thanks for saving this butterfly!

DogHouseMom 08-24-2015 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My system didn't have a small enough brush for me to show this properly ....

I would do a series of squigly lines vertically along each "blade" of the wing. Perhaps 2-3 squigle lines per blade. SITD the outer edges of the wing and the body of the butterfly, and stiple or pebble the background.

My drawing shows only one line every-other blade.

By doing 2-3 lines you will have quilted the main portion of the wing fairly densly, which should make the edges of the wings (SITD only) stand out.

soccertxi 08-24-2015 12:53 PM

wait...she was going to THROW this away? :::shaking my head::::

Jeanne S 08-24-2015 12:57 PM

How about just one big spiraling circle from the center going round and round to the outer edges--with the circles being about 1/2 inch apart?

ManiacQuilter2 08-24-2015 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7296161)
My system didn't have a small enough brush for me to show this properly ....

I would do a series of squiggly lines vertically along each "blade" of the wing. Perhaps 2-3 squiggle lines per blade. SITD the outer edges of the wing and the body of the butterfly, and stipple or pebble the background.

My drawing shows only one line every-other blade.

By doing 2-3 lines you will have quilted the main portion of the wing fairly densely, which should make the edges of the wings (SITD only) stand out.

This is HOW I would quilt it on my Bernina 1530. You could stipple the background or do something to make it look like clouds. Very pretty.

grammysharon 08-26-2015 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by grammysharon (Post 7296030)
I offered to quilt this butterfly for a friend rather than have her throw it away. Now my problem is I haven't figured out what to quilt in the blades(wings). Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you for looking. (I free motion on a Bernina 830)

Thanks everyone for your input! I will be sharing these pictures with her and have us decide together what design she wants to have quilted!!