Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t31722.html)

Paintbrushbrown 12-16-2009 11:19 AM

I need help! I am working on a project for Christmas and the tension on my machine is all messed up. I can adjust the dial and make it worse, but not better. I changed the needle and changed the thread. I don't know what else to do. I just used the machine last night! Did gnomes come in and play with it in the night? ??? Can any of you think of things for me to try?

Marilyn
Paintbrushbrown

MadQuilter 12-16-2009 11:38 AM

Dirt in the casing?

I would start over and take out the thread and the bobbin. I would give the machine a thorough cleaning (and oiling - if required), reseat the needle, reset the bobbin, rethread and set the tension to its "normal" setting. If fine tuning doesn't work from there, she may have to see the machine doc.

.....and yes, there are gremlins in the sewing room, but they are usually not very patient and leave quickly.

Good luck.

Paintbrushbrown 12-16-2009 11:44 AM

I think it would have been nice if the Gremlins had finished up a project for me! How rude!

I will try all you said...again. I did it all once, but who knows, maybe I missed something.

Thanks for the help.

Paintbrushbrown

Tiffany 12-16-2009 01:35 PM

Sometimes the tension on the top gets full of thread dust and the mechanism can get stuck. If rethreading the machine and oiling it doesn't help, take it apart (where possible) and give it a good cleaning. It's amazing how quickly lint can build up, especially at this time of year when we are all frantically trying to finish up presents. You know how it goes. If you didn't have a deadline your machine would be working perfectly. :lol:

Also, make sure the thread you are using in your machine does not say Hand Quilting Thread. Thread for hand quilting is different from thread made to go in the machine. It is wound differently and it is waxed, which is bad for the machine.

Paintbrushbrown 12-16-2009 02:53 PM

Thanks to all of you! I have cleaned the bobbin area and the tension area. I think the tension mechanism was stuck. I think the build up there was the problem. It is working better. It isn't perfect. I will continue to work with it and hopefully it will work out...right after Christmas!

I am making purses. Some parts are quilted, others not. I am having a good time-when the machine works. I inherited a Brother Disney machine with an embroidery attachment, but I haven't learned how to use it yet. Dad brought it in September, but chemo really has messed up my memory and I just can't seem to the the instructions to stay in my head. I am working on it, though and will be stitching up a storm soon!

Thanks again for all your help. Y'all are great!

amma 12-16-2009 03:06 PM

Glad to hear that you can continue on with your projects!!! Lint and dust can sure mess up our machines :roll:

jljack 12-16-2009 03:54 PM

That is one thing I have learned with my BabyLock Quilters Choice Pro...it has to be thoroughly cleaned after each quilting is done, or it jams up and gets tension-weird on me!! Some machines can be really picky about being linty...