Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t79413.html)

karen12 11-29-2010 03:12 AM

I made a quilt and its my first .. its awful but i want to finish it. i just dont know how to go about doing the sid. my eyesight is bad and i dont know if i can tie off knots every two or three blocks. i was wondering if i can sew two rows one way without doing the inside lines then go back and sew the opposite direction and do two rows catching the other two side of the squares i did in the first two rows. i know this prolly doesnt make sense lol. i just need to have a plan of action cuz i have been looking and thinking about this for three days now. any ideas will help me

karen65ae 11-29-2010 04:01 AM

You could just sew a curvy line instead of SID.You are then catching both sides of the blocks... That is what I do for my I spy and baby quilts ..
You have a great name..lol

Sadiemae 11-29-2010 09:40 AM

As long as you stitch close enough for your type of batting, you can do it any way that you want to.

Jim's Gem 11-29-2010 10:56 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

Lilrain 11-29-2010 11:07 AM

If you are a new quilter maybe SID is not your best option. I sometimes (but am not a new quilter) just use the side of my presser foot as a guide on the ditch. then I quilt about a 1/4 inch away from that ditch. it is easier to make it look good for me, anyway. Concentrating on keeping right in the ditch can cause me a lot of tension in my shoulders and brain lol. You can also mark the quilt by placing painters tape where you want to quilt and sewing right next to it. No staying in the ditch. there is a nifty little notion out that enables you to bury all those thread tales too.

amma 11-29-2010 12:21 PM

If you have a serpentine decorative stitch, it is fun to use for SID. It meanders back and forth over the seams.

Just start in the center of the quilt, and work your way out, whichever way is easiest for you :D:D:D

watterstide 11-29-2010 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
like amma said..it you have a fancy stitch, you don't have to worry about staying straight so much!
do you have a walking foot? it should of come with a quilters bar..

Quilting bar,with walking foot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135821[/ATTACH]

darlin121 11-29-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by karen65ae
You could just sew a curvy line instead of SID.You are then catching both sides of the blocks... That is what I do for my I spy and baby quilts ..
You have a great name..lol

This has not occured to me before. Its a nifty idea, think I'll give it a try.

karen12 11-29-2010 02:24 PM

what kind of a notion is it and do you know where i coulf get it online. sounds like i could use that. thank uou sll for responfing. im getting ready to give it a try lol.

watterstide 11-29-2010 02:29 PM

Karen..YOu mean the quilting bar? it attaches to the back of your walking foot.?
.i post a picture of it above..