Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Is there an easy way to remove paper from paper pieced project?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-there-easy-way-remove-paper-paper-pieced-project-t172282.html)

nhweaver 12-17-2011 04:00 AM

Help! Is there an easy way to remove paper from paper pieced project??

I joined the 2012 UFO thread and decided to start last night. Started with the smallest project, a wall paper pieced wall hanging started in a paper piecing class in the spring. It is small Christmas trees on a black background, so I thought it would be the one to finish first. Well, OMG, now I know why my "little" paper piece wall hanging is a UFO. All those little bitty paper pieces to remove, ugh!! I will finish it, I will finish it, I will finish it, but I need help. Are there any hints to remove itsy bitsy paper pieces? Please???? The Christmas trees are only 3 1/2" high, teeny, tiny, pieces.

Just Me... 12-17-2011 04:12 AM

A cuticle stick along the stitching works wonders! Or, you can lay a damp towel on the project to make it easier to remove the paper....

Jackie Spencer 12-17-2011 04:25 AM

Dont know if this will help now, but before I sew the papers I poke a hole in them with a needle. Gives you something to geta hold of after they are sewn. I also set my stitch link to about 1.5 The needle perforates the papers more and they almost fall out. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

jitkaau 12-17-2011 04:48 AM

The easiest way is to make sure your stitches are smaller than usual so that they perforate the paper easily. I score the back with a stylus and then rip it out from there.

hobbykat1955 12-17-2011 04:59 AM

some people use the washable paper...find it at Joann's but expensive use coupon. some use tracing paper and put that thru copy machine, I haven't tried that yet. I use regular photo paper and don't have a problem if I use the 1.5 stitch

nycquilter 12-17-2011 05:55 AM

If you've pieced the entire top, you can pull and jiggle the top and that loosens the little pieces. Or, sit in front of the TV with a trash bucket in front of you and as you watch, peel the pieces. There doesn't seem to be a really quick and easy way. I find though that having perfect points makes it worthwhile. the time I've saved in not having to readjust and re-sew is spent removing paper. It's a trade-off, I guess.

HisPatchwork 12-17-2011 06:10 AM

Next time you could use a light interfacing instead of paper, then you don't have to remove it.

qwltcrazy 12-17-2011 06:16 AM

Give it to your hubby?

sandyms 12-17-2011 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by qwltcrazy (Post 4788432)
Give it to your hubby?

<giggle!!> Or one of your kids!! Actually, the other ideas are good. I also use a pair of tweezers that are made to remove slivers, I believe - they have a pointy tip.

Quiltlove 12-17-2011 06:25 AM

It sounds like you used regular paper for the piecing. Take a Q-tip, dip it in water and run it along all the seams. Then in a few minutes the paper will be easier to remove with tweezers in hand. Good luck to you. I am sure you wall hanging is worth the trouble.