Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!! Is there a Step 1? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-there-step-1-a-t210227.html)

AnnaF 01-08-2013 01:21 PM

Also check with your area high school to see if they offer Adult Education classes. I teach both fall and spring adult ed classes in my area. Beginner and intermediate/experienced are offered for both sessions.

Judi in Ohio 01-08-2013 02:12 PM

I was a clothing maker, so had some experience in tailoring and home dec. When I started machine embroidery I had lots of designs I was testing for my designer friend on denim. I made a quilt just by the hair of my chinny chin chin (not so funny now I'm getting older!!) I didn't know how to square up, so I took a beginning quilting class and the rest is history. You do need help no matter how much sewing you have done because things are done differently in quilting. And reading and I didn't have youtube. Just try simple at first and then branch out. I started Bonnie Hunters first mystery Carolina Crossroads - had I known how complex it was I would never have started it. But it turned out gorgeous and I was so proud. I have made everyone of Bonnies mysteries and I learn something everytime.

kaelynangelfoot 01-08-2013 02:38 PM

Learn to machine quilt. I hand quilted my first quilt and then dropped quilting for years because it took much too long to complete a project. Both methods are great, it just about what you are looking to do.

I agree with a previous post on the Big Book of Quilting. I got it out of my library and it really helped me learn things like how to make and sew a quilt binding. You should be able to get some great introductory books on quilting from your local library.

My two favorite tips are: Iron! and get a 1/4" presser foot. Sewing a scant 1/4" seam and proper pressing are critical to getting your blocks to look right.

craftdiva 01-08-2013 02:43 PM

As a former Family Studies teacher for Grade 6,7,8 (Home Ec)--my first advice is the machine if that is where you are starting. If starting by hand--then ignore this.
It took time for the kids to get to know that machine--the ins and out of threading, winding a bobbin, turning the hand wheel towards you, how to change a needle, stopping when needed -not 3 stitches later.
Then came being able to sew a straight line--some it comes naturally to but for many it did not. I had them sew on lined paper and then hold it up to the light--when they could do 2 well-they then tried without lines to sew 1/4" and 5/8" lines straight. We tried letters, curves,etc on paper. Then when they were comfortable using the machines they moved to fabric. It moves differently so we made pillows to start --nice straight lines. Cutting is another issue altogether. We did not use rotary cutters in school--scissors only. Cutting a straight line there requires practice as well.
I think if you are starting on the machine, mastering the above will put you in good stead to start the free crafty course or something similiar. It took me awhile to get the terminology down and I was a maker of clothes for many years. Still it took time to get seams to match,etc. Rag quilts are good as they are forgiving and hide a multitude of errors:) I would just be concerned that if you are not comfortable with the machine, that you may get frustrated and not continue with the quilting.
But its a great past time! Come on and join us. Its addicting:)

eimay 01-08-2013 03:21 PM

There is a great beginner book by Alex Anderson. I would recommend that.

patdesign 01-08-2013 04:23 PM

Hi, I jumped in head over heels about 4 years ago, I spent a lot of time checking out library books, I quickly learned what I did and did not want to do. This group is great always helpful and many great tutorials.
Good Luck in your endeavor.
Pat

liking quilting 01-08-2013 06:28 PM

I hear you; remember feeling exactly as you described the overwhelming sense of so many terms and expectations that you had a working knowledge to start the first quilt. I "lurked" here for quite a while, watched quilting shows on t.v., and went to my 1st local quilt show. There I talked with one of the participating quilt shops and got super advice from the owner about selecting the proper pattern for a beginner. Haven't stopped quilting since (going on 1 1/2 yrs of quilting and hoping for many more). I did a quilt called "strip cocktail" for my 1st. Best of luck to you!

quiltapillow 01-08-2013 07:14 PM

Hi, When I was your age my mom had a sewing machine. I went to the Winns Store(variety store that sold everything) and used my allowance to buy a pattern(10cents) and a yard of fabric(50cents) went home and read the pattern and the sewing machine book(Singer) and just followed the directions and did it. My mom was supprised when she came home from work and saw what I had done. If you live near a Senior Center or even your Church Senior Classes you could go and ask the older ladies(grandmas) if any one could help you. I had a mentor(97yrs) when I was about 36 yrs. and had my grandmothers sewing machine she taught me alot about piecing and fabric. But mostly--I read the pattern and follow the instructions and just do it. I use the brain God gave me. My first real quilt was when I was about 20yrs and I just took fabric and cut into squares and sewed them all together for a top-took my old blanket and used it for the middle and a sheet for the back(not much money back then),sewed it all around and turned it rightside out and had my quilt for living in the hill country it was cold. It worked. Have fun with it; try what you want to! Get into a bind just get back on this board and we will all help you. Welcome to the World of Quilting.

Sandi 01-08-2013 07:22 PM

I think you could find someone who would want to volunteer their time to give you a beginning sewing/quilting lesson. If there is a quilt guild in your area, you could contact people the people in charge and see if they can help you.
If I were near you{ i live in Massachusetts} I would teach you myself:)
Also your school maybe able to find a quilting teacher.. Some of your friends mothers might have quilting friends who could help you. A good machine to start with is the Janome Gem. Hope this helps
Best wishes!

reneaunoel 01-08-2013 07:28 PM

If you have good access to the internet, the site www.Craftsy.com has online courses, which you can watch over and over. There are quite a few that are free. You may need your Mom or other adult to get setup (it's been a long while since I was 13, so....) but once you are logged in, there are sewing and quilting classes. there is a BOM (block of the month) class, I think you can still access the 2012 series and for sure can sign up for the 2013. Without a sewing machine, piecing a quilt might take longer, but there is no shame in that! You will learn how to assemble and quite a bit of the language that goes with quilting. And if you make a square or two, that would make a really nice bag (Craftsy has at least 2 classes for free on bag making!)

I started sewing when I was 8 years old, my Grandmother was too terrified of me injuring myself to teach me, so she found a local sewing class and "fibbed" about my age! My Great-Grandmother was a wonderful resource, but believed in learning by observing, so that was a little hard as a young beginner. Long and short, KEEP UP what you are trying to accomplish. You will remember this your entire life, and you are learning more skills than "just" sewing! Congratulations and WELCOME to the Quilting Club!