Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!!!!Thread breakage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-thread-breakage-t55054.html)

mlaceruby 07-18-2010 08:58 AM

if you are using a thinner poly thread instead of a heavier cotton this may be your problem.
try using a smaller size needle a 90/14 or an 80/12

franie 07-18-2010 09:04 AM

Those are good needles. I use 18 in my machine.

Originally Posted by starlite
My needle size says it is a Nm100/16 it is from groz-beckert

Mishi 07-18-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Don't know if this would apply to your setup or not, but I've found that sometimes when the thread gets near thhe base of the spool if I get going too fast it will somehow wind itself around the spool pin when I stop (I think that's what it's doing anyway) and then when I start up again it will only go a short distance before the top thread breaks. Took me awhile to reach this conclusion, but now I watch really close if I know I'm getting to that area of the thread on the spool and try to catch it before it becomes a prooblem.

I had a similar problem when quilting recently - the thread was running low on the spool and when the thread was feeding it was catching on the edge of the spool, causing it to break. I ended up changing to a fresh spool and everything worked fine.

twistedstitcher 07-18-2010 09:23 AM

I have a Juki on a Superquilter frame and used to have a lot of trouble with thread breakage until my LQS owner suggested using a topstitching needle. I always use a size 14 topstitching needle and seldom have trouble with breakage any more, no matter what type of thread I'm using.

lovespuppies 07-18-2010 02:52 PM

After rethreading the machine if it continues to break....I change the needle and it almost always is the answer.

CrazyAunt 07-18-2010 03:20 PM

Another thing that happens is that when we install a new needle, we do not get it pushed all the way up in the needle holder. I've done that and had problems with breaking thread. When I pushed it all the way up, my problems went away.

Navy Wife 07-18-2010 03:28 PM

If the thread is old it can break more easily. I finally went through my supply and threw away a lot. Some was many years old!

PennyLynn 07-18-2010 05:15 PM

I had the some problem and sent it in to be worked on twice. when a man I was looking at buying a new machine from told me to try putting in a new needle and them bring it down just the space of a paper clip before you tighten up your needle. IT WORKED!!! I have not had a problem scene. He said the Janome1600P has a problem with the shaft bending and this will help. Hope this helps with your problem.

weatheread 07-18-2010 06:39 PM

ALSO THE HEIGHT YOU HAVE THE QUILT RAILS SET ABOVE THE MACHINE MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE TOO CLOSE IT DRAGS TO HIGH IT FLAGS AN BREAKS THREAD

PMY in QCA-IL 07-18-2010 06:57 PM

If nothing else helps, check your throat plate and bobbin case for burrs (can happen if a needle hits either one), that may be what is causing the thread breakage.